Enrolment and visa information for international students

The following information is provided to assist international students studying in Australia on student visas.

Your enrolment

Amending your enrolment

If you are an international student, the conditions of your visa preclude you from suspending your studies, therefore you should contact Curtin Connect or the Student Advisor – International Student Visas on campus to discuss your options.

Your SSO will be able to advise you on whether you are permitted to withdraw from units and how that will affect your visa. Withdrawing or suspending your studies will affect your visa, and may extend you normal course duration, so you may require a new student visa to complete your course.

If you are granted permission to withdraw from a units, it is advised that you follow the advice outlined in before you withdraw.

Enrolment study load

With the exception of a small number of courses the enrolment load required under a student visa is 100 credits per semester.

For further information about study loads and how to apply for a reduced study load visit the study load page.

Attendance mode

International students on student visas are required to enrol in face-to-face internal study -however, you may be able to enrol in external or fully online units providing they meet the following conditions:

  • You can only enrol in a maximum of one third of your total course externally or online.
  • You must maintain at least one internal unit enrolment per study period.

If you are planning to undertake external or fully online units you must first seek approval from your Student Service Office.

Managing your visa and visa requirements

Student visa renewals

When you first accept an offer for a course at Curtin as an international student you will be issued with an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from Curtin International to apply for your student visa.

If your student visa expires before you complete your course you will need to request a new CoE. This is so that you can apply for a new student visa with the Department of Home Affairs in order to continue your current course of study.

There are certain requirements that must be met before your CoE can be produced. Please refer to the Online Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) application guidelines and ensure you have met all the requirements before requesting your new CoE.

Please note that the following students are not able to request their CoE online.

  • Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students – contact the Student Advisor – International Student Visas at iovisa@curtin.edu.au to seek advice on how to obtain a CoE
  • Students changing to a new course – you will received your CoE from Curtin International after you have formally accepted your offer

To request a new CoE online:

  1. Log into OASIS
  2. Click on the My Studies tab
  3. In the quick forms Channel, click on Request for Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) [International Students Only].

Once you have your CoE you are to apply for your new student visa online at the Department of Home Affairs website. You will need to log into your immiAccount to start the online application.

To apply for your student visa you will also have to:

  • Provide evidence of overseas student health cover (OSHC) for the length of your visa directly to the Department of Home Affairs. You will have to arrange payment directly with your OSHC provider to extend your current cover. Please see their websites and follow the prompts for Overseas Students for further information and arranging payments.
  • You may have to provide evidence of a medical check-up within the last 12 months (as medical and x-ray results are only valid for 12 months). For information about the immigration health requirements please see the Department of Home Affairs website.

For further information about the Student visa (subclass 500) and the application requirements, please see the Department of Home Affairs website.

Fees and charges associated with student visa applications are available from the Department of Home Affairs website.

The Department of Home Affairs contact details:

  • Telephone: 131881 for visa enquiries
  • Perth location: Ground floor, Wellington Central 836 Wellington St, West Perth, 6005.
  • Websitehttp://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/

Students applying from outside Australia can contact their nearest Australian High Commission/Embassy if they require assistance with their student visa application. For further information about visas, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Visa expiry

You can check when your student visa will expire on the Department of Home Affairs Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) website.

Working in Australia

Student visa holders already have Permission to Work included with your visa.

Once you have work rights, there are restrictions on the number of hours you can work. From 26 March 2012, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight after you start your course and while your study is in session. During recognised vacation periods you are allowed to work unlimited hours.

For students undertaking Higher Degree by Research, you have unlimited work rights after you start your Masters by Research or Doctorate course. However, while you are undertaking any preliminary courses, such as an English language course, you can only work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.

For more information on working while studying, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) renewals

If you wish to renew your OSHC you will have to do so with your chosen health provider. You can do that via their website, at their local retail branches, or by contacting them directly via phone.

An Bupa Global Assistance Client Services Representative is available to students in Curtin Connect, Building 102.

The representative can assist you with:

  • OSHC Renewals
  • How to order or collect a membership card
  • Cash claims
  • Claiming
  • Holiday credits
  • General information

The Client Representative is available at the times shown below. Please ensure you arrive 15 minutes before the indicated finish time to be able to see the Client Representative.

Monday to Friday 10.00am to 4.00pm.

These times are subject to change at short notice depending on the availability of the Client Representative.  If the time changes suddenly there will be notices in Curtin Connect, Building 102.

Students under 18 years of age

If you are under 18 years of age you will already have nominated a guardian who has legal responsibility for your welfare in Australia until you turn 18. You are required to submit a form to Curtin International nominating your guardian prior to accepting your offer.

Whilst you are under the age of 18 you and your guardian are required to meet with a Student Advisor from Student Wellbeing as least once every semester. The Advisor will contact you both and arrange the meeting at a time that is convenient.

The meetings are completely confidential and are conducted to ensure your social and emotional well being. It is a condition of guardianship that your guardian accompanies you to the meeting.

If you have any questions about your meeting please contact a Student Advisor:

START – Student Wellbeing advisory service
Curtin Connect, Building 102
: 1800 244 043
WebStudent Wellbeing Advisory Service

Change of address

You must advise Curtin the address where you live in Australia within seven days of arriving in Australia.

You must also advise if you change the address where you live within seven days of the change.