University and visa matters

Don’t forget to ensure that you have completed all the necessary paperwork with the university and immigration before leaving.

alt text

Organising university matters

Find out what university matters you should organise before returning home. Information on sanctions, credit for previous study or work experience, and the Office of Alumni Relations is provided here.

Office of Alumni Relations

A few years as a student; A Curtin alumnus for life; A lifetime of opportunity.

Your relationship with Curtin does not end with graduation. When you graduate from Curtin you join over 150,000 alumni worldwide.

Alumni Relations are committed to adding value to your Curtin qualification by providing you with lifelong opportunities including:

  • MyAlumni – Curtin’s online graduate community
  • Events, reunions and networking opportunities
  • Professional development and mentoring
  • Careers assistance
  • Scholarships exclusive to family members
  • Discounted access to Curtin’s Proquest database.

All you need to do is keep your details up to date via the Alumni Relations website.


Outstanding fines or accounts can result in a sanction. These include parking fines, library fines, the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) and tuition fees.

It’s important to make sure you do not have any sanctions against your name. If you do, you will not receive your exam results, academic transcript or testamur until your debt is paid.

Check the Sanctions Channel in OASIS for details of any current sanctions you may have.

Update your contact details

Make sure you update your home contact details in OASIS when you head home. This will ensure we are able to keep in contact in the future.

Credit for previous study or work experience

Ensure that your School has recorded your Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) requests. If your CRL has not been entered into University Records, you may not be deemed eligible to graduate.

For more information see Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL).

Alt text

Examination results and graduation

Everything you need to know about examination results including supplementary examinations, deferred assessments, academic transcripts, and sanctions. Information on graduation and how to change your address is also provided here.

Examination results

Examination results are released approximately three weeks after the examination period and can be viewed via OASIS.

Result publication dates for all study periods are available on the Academic Calendar.

Visit the Examinations section for information about Supplementary Examinations and Deferred Assessment.

Academic Transcripts

Your Academic Transcript is the official University record of your results printed on official University transcript paper.

More information regarding the Academic Transcript and other official documents can be found on the graduation documents information page.


Outstanding fines or accounts can result in a sanction. These include parking fines, library fines, the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) and tuition fees. Having a sanction will prevent you from accessing your examination results, academic transcripts and awards.

Check the Sanctions Channel in OASIS for details of any current sanctions you may have.

Apply to graduate

During your final semester of studies, you will need to apply to graduate. Visit the Graduation section of the Curtin website for information.

Alt text


Find out when your visa expires, what visas you may be eligible for after completing your course, and how to apply for these visas including those necessary for your family to attend your graduation in Australia.

Student visas

Once you have completed your course we are obliged to notify the Department of Home Affairs of your program completion. Your student visa will not remain valid and students are generally given up to 28 working days from course completion to leave Australia.

If you wish to stay in Australia after completing your course and do not intend to continue with further studies, you will need to apply for another type of visa via the Department of Home Affairs.

AusAID students have a ‘no further stay’ condition on their visas.

Visitors visas

After completing your course, you may need to apply for a Visitor (Tourist) Visa to attend your graduation ceremony or stay to have a holiday.

To be granted a further stay as a visitor you must have complied with the conditions of your student visa and be able to meet the criteria of a Visitor Visa. It is recommended that you start to apply for a new visa at least two weeks before your current visa expires. You may be ineligible if you have condition 8503 “No Further Stay” imposed on your current visa.

To be granted a Visitor Visa, you will need to submit an application to the Department of Home Affairs. Other visa options are available on the Find a Visa page.

To contact the Department of Home Affairs:

  • Make an enquiry online
  • Perth Visa and Citizenship Office 
    836 Wellington Street
    West Perth WA 6005
    Business operating times: Monday to Friday: 9.00am – 4.00pm
  • Phone: 131 881 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm)
  • Or you can lodge your application online.

The following documents may be required if you apply for another visa:

  • A “Letter of Course Completion” as proof that you have completed studies. This letter is purchased from Curtin Connect.
  • Academic results, evidence of travel plans, a confirmed return air ticket.
  • Health/travel insurance or adequate funds to cover emergency medical treatment for your extended stay.

If the purpose of further stay is to attend a graduation ceremony, then you may also require evidence that you have completed your course. The following may be required:

  • Evidence that you have graduated and the date of your graduation ceremony – you may be able to use Official Communication that you have been sent via OASIS.
  • Letter of Course Completion – an official document indicating that you will be, or have completed your course and the graduation ceremony date. Details on how to request a copy are available from Official Student Documents.

Relative's visitor visa

If your relatives wish to attend your graduation ceremony and require a letter to assist with their Visitor Visa application, you can order an official “Graduation letter”. Details on how to request a copy are available from Official Student Documents.

Temporary graduate visa

The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allows graduates to work in Australia temporarily after they finish their studies. It has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream.

The Graduate Work stream is for international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation considered in demand in the Australian labour market, as indicated in the eligible skilled occupations list. A visa in this steam is generally granted for 18 months.

The Post-Study stream offers extended options for working in Australia to eligible graduates of a higher education degree. Under this stream, successful applicants are granted a visa with two, three, or four years duration, depending on the highest education qualification they have achieved.

Applying for permanent residency

International students who wish to remain in Australia permanently need to apply for Permanent Residency (PR). Permanent Residency applications can be made either from inside or outside Australia.

For further information, please contact: