Curtin is committed to providing a safe working and learning environment, and have zero tolerance for sexual assault and sexual harassment. If you need assistance, please remember you are not alone. There is a range of services and support available for students and staff.
What is sexual assault and sexual harassment?
Sexual assault is when a person is forced, coerced or tricked into sexual acts against their will or without their consent, including when they have withdrawn their consent.
- Is behaviour that the survivor has not invited or chosen.
- Can be one-off events, or part of a pattern of violence.
- May have a range of effects, including physical, emotional and psychological.
Sexual assault and other sexual offences are criminal offences.
Sexual harassment is:
- Any unwanted or unwelcome sexual behaviour, which makes a person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated.
- Interaction, flirtation or friendship which is not mutual or consensual.
Whenever you have sex, you need to make sure that your partner is just as enthusiastic about having sex. In other words, that they give their full consent. It’s important that you are 100% sure that the person you’re with is happy and willing because non-consensual sexual activity (even kissing and touching) is actually against the law.
Not only is sex without consent a crime, but being pressured or forced into a sexual situation you’re not ready for (also known as rape and sexual assault) can do lasting emotional damage. It’s not enough to just assume someone wants sex as much as you, you really have to ask.
You can also check out this video for more information.
Serious safety concerns
In a life-threatening situation, contact the Police on “000” or dial “0 000” from an internal phone.
If you, or someone you know is sexually assaulted or sexually harassed, or you see something that shouldn’t be happening, contact the Curtin Safer Community Team. The Safer Community Team offer 24 hour service, every day of the year, to the Perth, Technology Park, Perth CBD and Kalgoorlie campuses. The Safer Community Team will help you get the right support, even if the incident occurred in the past and/or did not occur on a Curtin campus.
- Phone +61 8 9266 4444
- Contact the team online and we will be in touch
- If you are on the Perth Campus, use the SafeZone Security App to trigger an immediate response from the Safer Community Team without alerting an assailant.
- If you are on the University supported activities either interstate or overseas, ring International SOS on +61 2 9372 2468 and quote Membership No. 12AYCA656047.
Report a sexual assault or sexual harassment incident
If you are aware of, or have experienced an incident of sexual assault or harassment, see something that shouldn’t be happening, or feel unsafe, please report it. The Safer Community Team can be reached directly on +61 8 9266 4444, or through our online form. You can make an anonymous report if you choose. All reports are treated seriously and confidentially.