At Curtin, you’re welcomed into an environment where you’re respected and valued, regardless of your sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

If you identify as LGBTIQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Intersex, Queer, Questioning and otherwise diverse in your sexuality and/or gender), you can access a range of support and resources at Curtin.

Sign that says 'we love equality for all'

Support and community for LGBTIQ+ students

See the services, support and community initiatives available to you at Curtin.

More about support and community

Three oversized cookie cutters, one woman, one man and one transgender or intersex person.

Ally training

Our Ally training empowers and teaches students and staff to support LGBTIQ+ students.

More about training and awareness

Changing your name and gender details

Changing your name

To update your formal name with Curtin University you will need to:

  1. Complete a change of personal details form.
  2. Provide required original or certified documentation. A list of acceptable supporting documents can be found on the form.
  3. Submit the form and supporting documentation to Curtin Connect through our online web enquiry form.

To change your preferred name contact Curtin Connect. No supporting documentation is required.

If you are studying via Open Universities Australia you will need to change your details in My Study Centre.

Changing your gender details

Curtin systems allow for identification as M (male), F (female), or X (indeterminate/unspecified/intersex). No supporting documentation is required.

For support and further information see the Gender Transition at Curtin guide or contact a Curtin Ally or the Student Wellbeing Advisory Service.

To change your gender details contact Curtin Connect.

Changing your details with the University will not automatically change your details with government agencies and could lead to delays in services with agencies whilst verifications take place.  For example, Centrelink student support payments may be interrupted if name and gender records do not match at both the University and Centrelink. Please carefully consider any potential consequences of not changing your personal details with all government agencies you deal with.