Indigenous student support

If you’re of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, you can access a range of support services that will provide culturally-appropriate assistance and help you settle in and succeed at Curtin.

Centre for Aboriginal Studies (CAS)

CAS runs Indigenous-focused courses and research at Curtin, but the Centre is also a base on campus for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. No matter which faculty you’re studying with, you can drop by CAS to get support, socialise, attend events, and use the computer lab and common room. CAS is located centrally on the Perth Campus in Building 211.

Learn more about the Centre for Aboriginal Studies

Academic tutoring

The Centre for Aboriginal Studies runs the Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS), a student-driven tutoring program to help you with your study and prepare for your assignments.

Work placements at Curtin

Get valuable work experience and help prepare yourself for your career through the Aboriginal Student Placement Program.

Health Sciences Indigenous Student Support

The Indigenous Engagement team provides a culturally secure learning environment for Indigenous students in the Faculty of Health Sciences, including navigating the transition to university, academic support and guidance, advocating on your behalf to staff and connecting with the Koorda Network.

Indigenous Department at the Student Guild

The Curtin Student Guild represents and advocates for students at Curtin, and it has an Indigenous Department Officer to make sure Indigenous students are well represented and supported. The Guild also collaborates with CAS on student events.

Counselling services

If you have personal issues that arise during your study, you can see an Aboriginal psychologist for free at Curtin.

ABSTUDY financial support

As an Indigenous student, you may be eligible for ABSTUDY payments from the government to help support you while you study. ABSTUDY can help you with your costs for education, accommodation, living, travel expenses and prescription medicines.

Learn more about ABSTUDY at the Australian Government Department of Human Services website


There’s a range of scholarships available for Indigenous students. You can search all scholarships, or learn about Commonwealth scholarships available to Indigenous students. To chat about your scholarship options, contact the Curtin Scholarships Office.