Have a question about equity at university? Check the answers below, and if you can’t find what you’re looking for, contact our student wellbeing advisors.

Equity exams

Alternative examination arrangements

Some students may require alternative exam arrangements through reasons of disability, medical, religious, social inclusion or commitment as an elite athletes.

Arrangements should be made at least four weeks prior to the examination period.

Disability or medical reasons

If you need alternative exam arrangements due to a medical condition or disability you should seek approval from AccessAbility Services. You are also eligible if you are a primary carer of a person with a disability.

You will need to provide documentation from your treating health professional to support your request at the initial appointment. AccessAbility Services will then assess your situation and assist you to make arrangements for in-class and end of semester exams if required.

For more information, contact AccessAbility Services. Curtin OUA students can refer to Disability Support on the OUA website.

Religious reasons

If you have obligatory religious requirements that prevent you from sitting an examination at the scheduled time you should seek approval for alternative arrangements to sit your examinations.

You will need to provide appropriate supporting documentation from your church or religious group.

For more information go to faith and religion.

Family, care and social inclusion

If you are experiencing issues related to social inclusion, such as pregnancy or extenuating commitments as a primary carer, that prohibit you from sitting your exams at the scheduled time, you should contact a Student Wellbeing Advisor. They will be able to determine what alternative arrangement is required or assist to you apply for an Assessment Extension.

For more information, contact Student Wellbeing Advisory Service.

Elite athletes

Recognised elite athletes who need alternative exam arrangements need to seek approval from Curtin’s Elite Athlete Coordinator.

For more information, contact Curtin’s Elite Athlete Coordinator.

Family responsibilities

Can I bring my child/children onto Curtin campuses?

Curtin acknowledges the special needs of students and staff with family responsibilities, and therefore has provided the capacity to bring a child/children onto campus in line with the Child/Children on Campus Procedures. However, lecturers and supervisors have the responsibility to ask the parent/guardian to remove the child/children in the event that the child/children are not behaving responsibly and safely on campus, are disrupting normal study and work practices, or in the event that safety and health standards would be compromised, for example, room capacity is exceeded.

Where are the parenting facilities on Perth Campus?

The Robertson Library has a parenting and rest room – find out more on the Library website.

There is also a parenting room in Building 610 in Tech Park.

Where are the nappy change facilities on Perth Campus?

Hygienic nappy change facilities are available at the following convenient locations:

  • Building 100, room 310
  • Building 200, toilet adjacent to the Bookshop and Cafe
  • Building 210, room 110
  • Building 408, room 2001
  • Building 610, unisex toilets adjacent to the main foyer

Can I participate in fieldwork if I am pregnant?

Pregnancy will not preclude you from undertaking fieldwork if you meet the requirements for the fieldwork and it is safe for you to do so.

As a single parent, I am unable to secure childcare for my baby at the time my exam is scheduled. What can I do about this?

If you believe you would be unfairly disadvantaged by participating in the scheduled exam, you can apply for an equity examination on other (non-disability/medical or religious) grounds. Contact the Student Wellbeing Advisory Service for more information.

Religious and cultural considerations

I have a class on at the same time as when I have to go to the Mosque to pray. Can I do anything about this?

You can speak to your lecturer and ask for special consideration, explaining that you have a religious requirement, and request that you either be allowed to change class (if possible), or that you be able to access the information in another way or format – for example, on the web, or through notes from the lecturer. The Student Wellbeing Advisory Service may also be able to offer you some advice.

Find more information on the Guild Multi-Faith Services website.

My exams are at the same time as Ramadan, when I fast each day from sunrise to sunset. I have four exams in two days and I'm sure I'll be too weak to sit all these in such a short time. Can anyone help with this?

Curtin has special arrangements in place for this situation. You can contact the Student Wellbeing Advisory Service to discuss your needs. You will be required to provide information to verify your membership of your religious group.

Find more details on the Alternative arrangements for examinations and assessments page.

Disabilities and medical conditions

Who can I talk to about managing my studies with a medical condition or disability?

You can get disability and accessibility support from AccessAbility Services at Curtin.

Visit our website: students.curtin.edu.au/personal-support/disability

Phone: +61 8 9266 7850 or 1800 651 878

Email: access.ability@curtin.edu.au

AccessAbility Services
Curtin University
PO Box U1987
Western Australia 6845


International campus contacts for disability and accessibility:

Curtin Singapore

Shanti Achanta, Counsellor
Telephone: +65 6593 8000
Email: Shanti.Achanta@curtin.edu.sg

Curtin Malaysia (Sarawak)

Counselling and Disability Services
Health Division, Office of Student Affairs
Telephone: +6085-443939 ext 4304
Email: counselling@curtin.edu.my

Curtin Dubai

Moses Eyong
Email: moses.eyong@curtindubai.ac.ae

Curtin Mauritius (Charles Telfair)

Dr Karlo Jouan
Email: kjouan@curtinmauritius.ac.mu

Conflict of interest

Someone in my department is supervising a postgraduate student to whom they are related. Is this okay?

The academic staff involved should declare this relationship with the student to his or her line manager. It is then up to the line manager to advise the staff member whether it is acceptable to continue to supervise the student or whether changes to the arrangement should be made. One alternative may be to appoint another staff member as a co-supervisor. Curtin has Conflict of Interest policy and procedures to overcome situations like this.

Harassment and discrimination