Register with AccessAbility Services

If you have a diagnosed disability, medical condition and/or a mental health condition, Curtin’s AccessAbility Services can provide assistance.

Who can receive assistance?

You’re eligible for assistance if you have a disability or medical condition that is diagnosed by a doctor or other qualified health service provider, and it affects your studies. See what is a disability? for the definition of a disability as well as common disabilities seen at university.

How to register with AccessAbility Services

Make an appointment with an AccessAbility advisor to discuss your situation and requirements. Phone appointments are available if you can’t attend the Perth campus.

In most cases you’ll have to provide recent documentation from your health professional about your disability or medical condition.

Please advise us if you have any specific needs for the appointment, such as accessible parking, information in an alternative format or an Auslan interpreter.

Health Professional documentation

If you require disability support and ‘reasonable adjustments’ you must provide a letter or statement from an appropriately qualified health professional  or a completed Health Professional Report form [.pdf 57kb] which provides information about your disability or medical condition and how it impacts on your studies. All documentation must be provided in English.

See a list of appropriately qualified health professionals

Appropriately qualified health professionals include:

  • General practitioners
  • Medical specialists
  • Psychologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Speech pathologists
  • Social workers
  • Optometrists

Acceptable documentation for specific learning disabilities should be provided by:

  • A psychologist (preferably with educational and/or developmental training) in the identification of dyslexia, language-based dysgraphia or dyscalculia.
  • An occupational therapist in the diagnosis of motor-based dysgraphia or developmental coordination disorder.
  • A speech pathologist for difficulties related to specific language impairments or childhood apraxia of speech.

Currency of documentation

Health professional documentation must meet the following currency requirements:

  • For temporary or changing conditions, you may be required to submit new documentation each semester or when your Curtin Access Plan expires.
  • For permanent conditions, you must submit documentation initially, and thereafter only if your condition or support needs change.
  • For learning disabilities, your documentation must be dated within the past three years if the assessment was conducted before you turned 16. If the assessment was conducted after you turned 16 it should be valid for the duration of your studies.

AccessAbility Services will make the final decision on the suitability of your documentation and how often it should be updated.