Curtin Access Plan

A Curtin Access Plan (CAP) is a document provided by AccessAbility Services that outlines the study and assessment adjustments recommended for you as a student with a disability/medical condition or a carer of a person with disability.

The content of the CAP is negotiated with you and it will only contain information that you agree to release. It can include information about your disability/medical condition if you wish to disclose this information.

A CAP has an end date after which it is not valid. This date is determined by the AccessAbility advisor dependent on a number of factors. In some cases it is valid for the duration of your course.

It’s your responsibility to ensure that relevant university staff, particularly your unit coordinators, have a copy of your CAP each semester.

Download a sample CAP [.pdf 87kb]

How do I develop a Curtin Access Plan?

Make an appointment with an AccessAbility advisor to discuss your situation and the support you may need at Curtin. If you can’t get to the Bentley Campus, you can make a phone appointment.

Please provide supporting documentation from your treating health practitioner at your first appointment. We may require updated documentation when your CAP is due for review or your health circumstances change.

Once you’ve discussed your situation with the AccessAbility advisor and provided the required medical documentation, your CAP will be developed or updated in consultation with you.

How is my Curtin Access Plan distributed?

You will be emailed a PDF version of your CAP by your AccessAbility advisor once it is finalized.

It is up to you to activate your CAP each semester/trimester/study period by emailing the PDF to your unit coordinators within a week of it being initially developed and then in week 1 of each following semester or study period.

If you prefer to have your CAP distributed by AccessAbility Services, an AccessAbility advisor can forward a copy to your unit coordinator/s or other nominated staff. Make sure that you provide the AccessAbility advisor with the contact details of the relevant staff each semester.

Whilst your confidentiality is respected, your CAP may be shared with other staff within the school/faculty if it is necessary in order to provide the adjustments or support you require.

Do I have to disclose my disability in the Curtin Access Plan?

Your CAP will only contain disability information you choose to release, and your disability or medical information/health professional documentation will be kept within AccessAbility Services.

The information you disclose to us is confidential and is handled according to our confidentiality statement. There are some exceptions to the boundaries of confidentiality which are outlined in this statement.

Please see the Disclosing a disability page or contact AccessAbility Services for assistance with your decision whether or not to disclose personal information.

What happens if my situation changes?

You can contact an AccessAbility advisor to arrange a review of your CAP at any time if the impact of your disability or medical condition changes, and/or if the CAP is not meeting your needs. You may need to provide updated health professional documentation to support the changes.

Unless you advise of the need to make changes or review your situation, your CAP will stay in place until the review date specified on the Plan.

How do I arrange exams using my CAP?

The Curtin Access Plan (CAP) can be used to make alternative test/examination arrangements.

School scheduled tests/exams: Please provide your CAP to the relevant unit coordinator at least two weeks before the school-scheduled assessment to request the conditions outlined in the Plan.

End of semester exams: These exams are usually run by the Examinations office. Your exam arrangements will be valid for the duration of your CAP. The deadline for making requests or adjusting exam arrangements is three weeks prior to the start of the examination period.

Please visit examination scheduling for more information.

How does my Curtin Access Plan relate to extensions?

If your Curtin Access Plan supports you for additional time to submit assessments you do not need to get additional documentation provided that the length of the extension is within the time period supported by the CAP.

You do need to contact the unit coordinator before the due date to request the additional days.

For extensions longer than the nominated time period you will have to follow the Assessment Extension procedure and obtain additional documentation from your treating health professional or AccessAbility Services.

Additional time to submit assignments is subject to final approval by the unit coordinator. In some cases additional time may not be possible and an alternative may be provided (e.g. a group assignment or practical assessment).

Please note that the CAP does not support you to change the date of tests or exams. Suitable documentation specific to these dates will be required, in accordance with the Assessment Extension policy.