How we can help you

If you have a disability or health condition that affects your studies, you can access a range of support and services through AccessAbility Services.

Students who have a significant caring role for a person with a disability (relative or friend) are also eligible for support.

Curtin Access Plans

Our AccessAbility advisors can work with you to develop a Curtin Access Plan (CAP), a document that outlines the type and level of support you require at Curtin.

Curtin Specialist Mentoring Program

The Curtin Specialist Mentoring Program (CSMP) is a peer support mentoring program specifically designed for students with an autism spectrum or related condition.

More services and support

Assistance and support with managing your studies

Curtin’s AccessAbility advisors can assist you if, due to a disability or medical condition, you are having difficulties with:

  • managing your workload
  • talking with academic staff about your requirements
  • attending classes
  • accessing your study materials
  • completing assignments and exams
  • other issues with accessing your studies or Curtin’s services and facilities.

Specific accessibility requirements

We can assist with:

  • arranging materials in accessible formats (e.g. electronic, Braille, audio, large print, transcripts or captions)
  • arranging for note takers, interpreters and other support staff
  • providing equipment and technology required for study
  • physical access to the campus, including wheelchair access
  • other arrangements/equipment as required.

Please provide us with as much notice as possible if you require any of these services, particularly alternative format materials. It may take up to eight weeks to provide the required formats depending on availability.

Alternative examination arrangements

AccessAbility Services can also organise alternative examination arrangements if you have disability or medical condition that impacts on your ability to sit an exam or test under standard conditions.

Access to library services

An AccessAbility advisor can assist you to access specialised library services for students with disability or medical conditions. These services include:

  • access to the library Equity Room which contains specialised equipment and software
  • library materials in alternative formats
  • access to lockers.

For more information, visit the Library services for students with disabilities and Reciprocal arrangements with other universities pages.

Campus access and parking

For information on physical access and parking in Curtin, see the access and parking page.

Finding employment

Curtin Careers Centre

The Curtin Careers and Employment Centre provides a range of services to help you make the transition from university into working life as smooth as possible.

University Specialist Employment Program (USEP)

The University Supported Employment Program is a partnership between Curtin and a local employment service to assist students with disability to find employment.

Curtin will have a career consultants from Maxima Specialised Employment Services on site to provide flexible, tailored employment assistance to Curtin students with disabilities or long term health conditions who are:
• seeking part-time work while studying, or,
• graduating soon and looking for employment.

The USEP Consultants are available in the foyer of Building 101, Level 2 every Wednesday from 11:00 to 2:OO PM. You can book an appointment on UniHub via ‘appointments’ or drop by the Foyer in person. If booking on-line, under ‘appointments’ please select ‘USEP Consultation/Appointment’.

Or you can contact your USEP consultant directly at

Specialist employment agencies

There are many specialist employment agencies that provide assistance to people with disabilities. The Jobsearch website has a full list of Disability Employment Service providers.

National Disability Coordination Officer

The National Disability Coordination Officer (NDCO) program assists university students with their transition from school to university, and from university into employment. For more information, visit the NCDO website.

Companion Card program for equitable access to activities and events

Curtin is an affiliate of the Companion Card Program, which gives people with disability equitable access to Curtin community activities and events.

Under this program, Curtin issues cardholders with a second ticket to Curtin events for their companions at no additional cost. The person with disability (cardholder) will be required to present his/her card when making the request. For more information, visit the Companion Card program website.

AccessAbility Services newsletter

Each semester we send a newsletter to all students who indicate on eStudent (through OASIS) that they would like to receive information about AccessAbility Services. Learn how to opt in, and access other resources.

Students who are carers of a person with disability

If you have a significant caring role for a relative or friend who has a disability and your responsibilities are impacting on your studies, you may be eligible for support and adjustments to your study program and a Curtin Access Plan.

Definition of a carer

A carer is defined by the Carer Recognition Act 2010 as “an individual who provides personal care, support and assistance to another individual who needs it because that other individual:

  1. has a disability; or
  2. has a medical condition (including a terminal or chronic illness); or
  3. has a mental illness; or
  4. is frail and aged.

An individual is not a carer merely because he or she (a) is the spouse, de facto partner, parent, child or other relative of an individual, or is the guardian of an individual; or (b) lives with an individual who requires care.

Carer’s documentation requirements

Supporting documentation confirming your carer status will be required. Please complete the Health Professional Report for Carers [.pdf 276kb] and a health professional who is aware of your situation to complete the relevant sections.

If you are providing a letter from a health professional instead of using the form it must be current and include:

  • information about the condition of the person you are caring for,
  • whether their condition is permanent, temporary, and
  • how your study may be impacted by your caring responsibilities.

More information and support

Contact AccessAbility Services to make an appointment to discuss your situation and how we may be able to assist you.

We understand that being a carer can be stressful, especially when you’re also studying. If you’d like to talk to someone about it, contact our student wellbeing advisors.

On-campus facilities

Fitness centre services

Curtin Fitness Centre offers one-on-one assistance for people with disability needs with their exercise program. The program is run in conjunction with Curtin Volunteers. Learn more about fitness services.

Mobility assistance

Mobility scooter

A mobility scooter for students, staff or visitors with mobility impairments is available for short term loan on the Perth Campus through AccessAbility Services, subject to availability. It is stored in the wheelchair recharge facility in Building 213.


A manual wheelchair is available for short term loan from AccessAbility Services, subject to availability.

Wheelchair recharging and overnight storage

Arrangements can be made for overnight recharging and storage of mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs in Building 213. Please discuss your needs with an AccessAbility advisor.