Carers on campus

Students who are carers

If you’re a primary carer for a relative or friend who has a disability and your responsibilities are impacting on your studies, you may be eligible for support and adjustments to your study program and a Curtin Access Plan. Supporting documentation confirming your carer status will be required. Contact AccessAbility Services to make an appointment to discuss this further.

We understand that being a carer can be stressful, especially when you’re also studying. If you’d like to talk to someone about it, contact our student wellbeing advisors.

Bringing carers to campus

Contact AccessAbility Services if you intend to bring a carer to campus. See the important information below about insurance coverage for carers.

Insurance coverage for carers on Curtin campuses

If it’s necessary for you to bring a carer to assist you on campus, it is important that you consider the insurance obligations for the carer, especially as Curtin can’t provide insurance coverage for any carer unless they’re employed directly by the University.

In the instance where a carer is provided by an external body, the external organisation should indemnify and provide insurance coverage for their carers. However, this wouldn’t apply in if a relative or friend is acting in a voluntary capacity and offering their services free of charge to you. In these circumstances, it is important that both you and your carer understand any exposures that may exist, in respect of their liability and/or injuries/illnesses sustained while performing these caring duties.