Student Wellbeing Advisory Service

You’re not alone at Curtin. If you’re struggling with a study or personal issue, or you just don’t know where to go or who to ask, our student wellbeing advisors can help. Our service is free and confidential for all Curtin students.

The Student Wellbeing Advisory Service team

How to reach us

You can contact us by phone, email or in person, Monday to Friday. If you call us after hours, you will be able to leave a message. One of our student wellbeing advisors will contact you as soon as possible the next working day.

Perth Campus and online students
Kalgoorlie campus students
If you are overseas

Perth Campus and online students

  • Call our Student Wellbeing Hotline on 1800 244 043 (free call).
  • Email We will get back to you within two working days.
  • Visit us in person in Curtin Connect Building 102, Bentley Campus, Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm. Select a Student Wellbeing ticket and a concierge will direct you to the confidential space. Find us on the campus map.

Kalgoorlie campus students

  • Call your Student Wellbeing Advisor on 9088 6029.
  • Email We will get back to you within two working days.
  • Visit us in person. Come say hello at Student Support Services, Building 701 Room 114, Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 2.00pm.

If you are overseas

  • If you are overseas, please call +61 8 9266 2662. This will connect you to our advisors who can assist you directly or refer you to support at any of the Curtin campuses.
  • Email We will get back to you within two working days.

Types of concerns we can help you with

Struggling with a personal or study issue? Or is something else making life difficult? Maybe you’re just confused about the campus or some university paperwork? You’re not alone. We offer helpful, caring, confidential assistance to many students for a whole range of reasons, including:

  • Unsure where to start with trying to resolve an issue
  • Difficulties with settling into university
  • Personal matters that are impacting on your success or wellbeing
  • Worries about your studies or academic progress (e.g. taking on difficult units, being placed on conditional status or questioning your course choice)
  • Issues with your faculty, staff member or peers.

Contact our experienced Student Wellbeing Advisor team to discuss any issue, incident or activity that is frustrating, worrying, threatening or affecting you in any way – no matter how big or small.

How we help

Often, just speaking to a Student Wellbeing Advisor can solve a small issue easily or if the issue is larger you can feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. When you contact Student Wellbeing, you’ll be introduced to an advisor who will:

  • Listen to your query or concerns
  • Try to understand your situation
  • Work with you to resolve your issue or source other relevant information and assistance
  • Follow up with you to provide further support and advice if required
  • Keep a confidential record of help provided so we can better assist you should you contact us again.

Your confidentiality

Anything you tell us will be kept confidential (within normal Student Advisory Service professional boundaries) unless you wish the matter to be taken further.

The only reasons we cannot maintain confidentiality are if:

  • You or others are in clear danger
  • We are legally obliged to do so. This includes such circumstances as a court subpoena, a valid search warrant or other current legislated requirements.

Contacting our service will not have any impact on your International student visa, your enrolment or your relationship with academic or general staff.

Frequently asked questions

Assessment extension and deferred exam application

​​​​​​Follow the steps below to apply for an assessment extension or deferred exam:
  1. Access the online Assessment Extension form on the Student administration forms webpage.
  2. Read the assessment extension information presented to you. 
  3. Continue through the steps to enter the relevant unit details and upload your supporting documentation. 

View application reasons and their required supporting documentation below (excerpt from Assessment and student progression - policy and procedures manual [.pdf 730KB] page 26).

Reason Supporting documentation
Student injury, illness or
medical condition
Signed statement on relevant official letterhead from a
Medical Practitioner or other approved health professional
registered by the relevant National Medical Board.

Medical statements from online services will not be accepted
unless face to face consultation occurs or a previous
practitioner-patient relationship exists in accordance with the
2016 revision of the AMA Medical Certificate Guidelines.

Medical statements from pharmacists are not acceptable.

Signed statement on relevant official letterhead from Curtin
University’s Psychological and Counselling Services, AccessAbility Services outlining how circumstances have impacting the student’s ability to submit the assessment item on the due date.
Family issues (e.g. family injury, illness or bereavement) Death Certificate or funeral notice.

Police report or statement.

Any form of supporting documentation accepted under the Student injury, illness or medical condition category listed above.

Statutory declaration outlining the relationship to the impacted family member if this is not evident without clarification.
Participation in Defence Force or Emergency Services Emergency Services: Signed statement of support on relevant official letterhead detailing the mandatory service requirements or participation in a recognised Emergency Services callout.

Defence Force: Signed statement on relevant official letterhead detailing the student is rendering Defence Service.
Unavoidable and unexpected work commitments not opted into on a voluntary basis Signed statement on company letterhead from the employer supporting claims of unavoidable and unexpected work commitments, confirming that these were not opted into on a voluntary basis. For self-employed students, sufficient detail to adequately explain why work commitments are both unavoidable and unexpected will be provided.
Elite Athlete sporting activity participation Signed statement of support from the University’s Elite Athlete Co-ordinator outlining how circumstances have impacting the student’s ability to submit the assessment item on the due date.
Obligatory Religious Requirements Signed statement of support from the student’s religious leader or University’s Student Wellbeing Advisor outlining how obligatory religious requirements will or have impacted the student’s ability to submit their assessment item on the due date.
Further reasons including social and welfare Signed statement of support from the University’s Student Wellbeing Advisor outlining how circumstances have impacted the student’s ability to submit the assessment item on the due date.

You will receive the outcome of your assessment extension request via Official Communication

More information on assessment extension policy and procedures can be found in the Assessment and student progression - policy and procedures manual [.pdf 730KB].


Alternative examination arrangements

You may require alternative assessment and/or exam arrangements due to disability or medical reasons, religious reasons, family/care obligations or elite athlete commitments.  

Arrangements should be made at least four weeks prior to the examination period.


Disability or medical reasons

If you need alternative exam arrangements due to a medical condition or disability you should seek approval from AccessAbility Services. You are also eligible if you are a primary carer of a person with a disability.

You will need to provide documentation from your treating health professional to support your request at the initial appointment. AccessAbility Services will then assess your situation and assist you to make arrangements for in-class and end of semester exams if required.

For more information, contact AccessAbility Services. Curtin OUA students can refer to Disability Support on the OUA website.


Religious reasons

If you have obligatory religious requirements that prevent you from sitting an examination at the scheduled time you should seek approval for alternative arrangements to sit your examinations.

You will need to provide appropriate supporting documentation from your church or religious group.

For more information, visit the Religious equity arrangements webpage


Family, care and social inclusion

If you are experiencing issues related to social inclusion that prohibit you from sitting your exams at the scheduled time, such as pregnancy or extenuating commitments as a primary carer, you should contact a Student Wellbeing Advisor. They will be able to determine what alternative arrangement is required or assist with your assessment extension application.

For more information, contact Student Wellbeing Advisory Service.


Elite athletes

Recognised elite athletes who need alternative exam arrangements need to seek approval from Curtin’s Elite Athlete Coordinator.

For more information, contact Curtin’s Elite Athlete Coordinator.

Applying for a Leave of Absence

An approved Leave of Absence allows you to take a break from your course for a period of up to 12 months while retaining your place in the course. If you stop continuous study without an approved Leave of Absence, your course status may be set to Absent Without Leave (AWOL), and you will need to re-apply for your course if you wish to continue your studies. 

If you are studying a Curtin course through Open Universities Australia (OUA), please contact OUA directly to apply for leave. You must have completed at least one unit of your course to be able to apply. More information can be found on the OUA Leave of Absence webpage.

If you are a Curtin Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Student, please follow the process outlined on the HDR forms, guidelines and policies page.

If you are studying at one of Curtin’s transnational campuses, please liaise directly with your local administration team for advice.

All other Curtin students must complete and submit the online Leave of Absence application via the Quick Forms pages accessed on the My Studies tab in OASIS:

1.  Log in to OASIS

Withdrawing from course

Curtin has a range of study and personal support services available to assist you with your study journey. If you are wanting to take a break from your studies, you may be eligible to take a Leave of Absence. Before proceeding with with a withdrawal request, please ensure you are aware of the census date and last date to withdraw as listed on the Academic Calendar, as a withdrawal may incur financial or academic penalties. 

If you are studying through Open Universities Australia (OUA), you will need to amend your enrolment through the OUA Student Hub or by contacting OUA directly.

If you wish to withdraw from your course entirely, you must first withdraw from your units via eStudent. Please then submit a written request to Curtin Connect through our online enquiry form by selecting the Managing your course then the Course withdrawal option. You will receive an email confirmation once your withdrawal request has been processed. 

Underload/request to enrol in less than 100 credits

International students on a student visa are required to maintain full-time enrolment (100 credits per semester) to ensure their degree is completed within the normal course duration. If you are an international student requiring a reduced study load (underload), you must seek approval to do so prior to amending your enrolment to ensure you are not breaching the conditions of your student visa.

To seek approval, you must complete the Request to Enrol in Less than 100 Credits in the Current Semester form. 

Submit your completed application form and supporting documentation through our online enquiry form using the steps below:

  1. Select Enrolment.
  2. Select Study load- overloading or less than 100 credits. 
  3. Click continue to support form.
  4. Select Request to enrol in less than 100 credits from the Additional information drop down box. 
  5. Enter a brief statement about your request in the Question field. 
  6. Click Choose File to upload your completed application form and supporting documentation. 
  7. Click submit your question.

Domestic students do not require approval to study less than 100 credits in a semester, but you may have study load conditions if you are receiving a scholarship or financial assistance. Sometimes external organisations may set study load conditions (e.g. Centrelink or Transperth). 

Search our FAQs

Other ways Curtin can help

We have many support services on campus and can also help you access off-campus support. For a full list of our other Curtin support services see our personal support page.