Social workers at Curtin

If you’re having trouble with your living situation, finances or relationships, or you need to make plans to extract yourself from stressful or dangerous personal circumstances, the social support advisor from our Social Support Service is a qualified social worker who can help. Our service is free and confidential for all Curtin students.

What we can help you with

Our social support advisor is trained in assisting with accommodation or housing concerns, financial hardship and budgeting, family and domestic violence, and alcohol and other dependencies. They also provide support after a crime or illness.They are familiar with and can help with issues affecting both domestic and international students.

Accommodation/housing concerns

  • Are you currently homeless?
  • Do you find yourself at risk of losing your home because of rent-related issues?
  • Find that you struggle to maintain long-term housing because of other issues or concerns that you would like to speak to somebody about?

Financial hardship and budgeting

  • Have you recently met with a crisis (unforeseen circumstances) that has impacted on your financial situation?
  • Do you feel concerned about study expenses?
  • Do you struggle financially and require practical financial assistance?
  • Would you like some general advice on budgeting and lifestyle expenses?
  • Are you in need of emergency relief?

Support after a crime or illness

  • Have you recently been a victim of a sexual assault, physical assault, accident or ongoing illness?
  • Require support when lodging a police report and/or Violence Restraining Order?
  • Would like to talk to someone about it?

How we help

Through individual consultations in a safe and confidential environment, our social support advisor can help you identify your concerns and work with you towards a resolution by:

  • Listening to your concerns in an objective manner.
  • Helping you create plans and strategies.
  • Helping you to liaise with different organisations on and off campus, who can support your specific needs.
  • Considering emergency relief support if necessary.

Remember you do not need to be in a crisis to make an appointment.  It is always better to come early to prevent the situation from escalating! Sometimes you just need to talk it through to make sure you are on the right track.

Make an appointment

To make an appointment, phone +61 8 9266 7850 or 1800 651 878 (free call outside metro area).

The social support advisor is located within PACS on the Perth Campus, Building 109, on the second level (see map). They are available for contact during business hours, Monday to Friday.

Resources and other organisations that can help

See a range of other support services that can help with the following: