FAQs about counselling services

If you have a question which isn’t answered here or on our other counselling pages, feel free to contact us.

What type of counselling is offered?

Personal counselling

Common issues addressed include:

  • Relationships with others
  • Sexuality
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Depression
  • Traumatic events/incident
  • Academic difficulties
  • Eating disorders
  • Career development.

Group counselling

A range of groups are offered including those aimed at:

  • Improving self-esteem
  • Dealing with depression
  • Developing mindfulness based cognitive strategies
  • and a host of other topics.

Assistance with policies and procedures

Many clients come to us concerned with procedures for dealing with:

  • Special circumstances
  • Appeals
  • Deferred assessments
  • Leave of absence
  • Withdrawal from units.

Educational services

The Counselling Service offers individual consultations and specialist group programs on effective learning strategies and skills.

Do I need to have a mental health illness to see a counsellor?

No. Counselling does not mean that you are ‘crazy’ or ill.

Many normal-functioning people see a counsellor at some point in their lives for help with abnormal situations that pop up.

What will my counselling cost?

The Counselling Service is free for enrolled students and staff at Curtin.

How many sessions of counselling will I have access to?

Clients are limited to a maximum of 10 sessions per year.

How can I be sure that what I talk about will remain private?

The Counselling Service complies with professional and legal requirements of confidentiality as well as the University’s policy on privacy.

See more information on the confidentiality page.

What if I need medication?

People who suffer from certain conditions (e.g. severe anxiety or depression) may benefit from medication.

If you are uncertain about whether you could benefit from medication, discuss this issue with your counsellor or general practitioner. If necessary, a referral to the Health Service will be provided.

Is it possible to see a counsellor of my own gender?

The counselling team consists of both male and female counsellors. If you feel more comfortable with a counsellor of your own gender, we will try to accommodate you. However, this may mean that you will wait longer for the next available appointment.

All our counsellors are experienced at counselling both men and women in a wide range of issues, so you can trust that they will be sensitive and caring about your situation.

Is counselling available for international students?

The counsellors see many international students and are familiar with issues that particularly affect them.

What are the qualifications of the counsellors?

The Counselling Service employs a range of qualified practitioners, including:

  • Clinical and counselling psychologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Social workers.

I am concerned about a friend/family member, what can I do?

It is best to make an appointment with one of the counsellors to discuss your concerns.

How do I register for a group program?

You can register for group programs on our Group programs page.