New to Curtin Mentoring
The New to Curtin Mentor Program links new students to more experienced students in a similar area of study. Mentors help you settle in to your first semester of study at Curtin.
You’ll connect with your mentor during the orientation period when you start your undergraduate degree or enabling program. They’ll show you the ropes and help you get started, whether you’ve studied at a different uni before or you’re new to uni. The best part is they’re students too, so they know what it’s like when you’re starting out.
Your mentor will keep in contact for your first semester. Each mentor has a small group of students, so you’ll also have the opportunity to connect with other new students.
As well as giving you tips about where to get the best (or cheapest) food on campus, your mentor can guide you with:
- navigating university systems (OASIS, timetabling, Blackboard)
- university life and making friends
- balancing your workload
- how to submit assignments
- referencing issues
- finding your way around your campus, including your Library
- where to find support for personal and study issues.
How to get a mentor
If you’re a new undergraduate student at the Perth or Kalgoorlie campus, we’ll provide you with a student mentor. In most cases, you’ll connect with your mentor during Orientation. Otherwise, you should hear from your mentor by email in the first couple of weeks of semester.
If you still don’t have a mentor by the end of week two of semester, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Log into your student email (in OASIS). Check to see if you have an email from your mentor or your school mentor program coordinator. Don’t forget to check your junk mail folder in case it’s there.
- If you haven’t got an email from your mentor, then enter your details below and we’ll organise a mentor to contact you.