John Curtin Leadership Academy
John Curtin Leadership Academy (JCLA) is Curtin University’s flagship co-curricular leadership program. Through the JCLA program, you will have the opportunity to develop employability and leadership skills such as self-awareness, communication, working in teams, problem solving, critical thinking, conflict and project management, public speaking, stakeholder and community engagement, cultural awareness, evaluation methodology, and more.
By being part of the JCLA program you will establish new networks, work alongside like-minded peers in multi-disciplinary teams, and experience the rewarding satisfaction of giving back to your community.
Underpinned by the Social Change Model of Leadership Development, participation in JCLA takes place between February and October and requires passion – passion to make a difference, have an impact and become a leader.
JCLA Leadership Intensive
This three day intensive, held in early February 2021, will enhance your understanding of the Social Change Model of Leadership Development, provide the opportunity to develop self-awareness, and identify the personal strengths that you can bring to a team. You will learn how to develop team effectiveness through group activities and challenges in which you’ll explore your own values and self-identity, and utilise team diversity. You will gain an understanding of various effective approaches to problem solving, decision making, project planning, and effective communication that will enable success in delivering JCLA project outcomes.
Leadership development modules
Throughout the program JCLA participants will undertake a combination of face-to-face and online professional development sessions. You will build on your understanding of project management, marketing and public relations, event management, problem solving, managing conflict, social impact measurement, reporting and public speaking, all skills you can apply directly to your team projects.
Working in teams, JCLA participants undertake a Curtin focused project between February and June, followed by a community-based project between July and October in partnership with selected not-for-profit or for-purpose organisations. This experience enables you to facilitate positive social change in a community while gaining real-world leadership experience to compliment the development modules.
Time and energy
A commitment of approximately five hours per week will be required to participate fully and meet the program requirements. This includes taking part in project team meetings and individual project tasks.
Project presentation event
JCLA project teams present their accomplishments and key learnings to an audience of industry leaders and academics from the corporate, government, social enterprise and not-for-profit sectors and members of the Curtin community.
JCLA commences in February, concluding at the end of October of the same academic year.
Applications for JCLA 2021 are now open, closing on Monday 5 October, so apply today!
On completion of the JCLA program, you will have had the opportunity to:
- develop a clearer understanding of your values, strengths and areas for improvement
- develop and demonstrate collaborative leadership with peers from various faculties
- develop a greater understanding of diversity and inclusion
- effect positive social change in the community.
- develop leadership skills that will enhance your employability and facilitate further opportunities for personal and professional development
- receive recognition of your participation via Curtin Extra
- become part of a strong Alumni network that continues to create positive change in the community
How to apply for JCLA
JCLA is open to Curtin undergraduates who have completed a minimum of 200 credit points, and all postgraduate Curtin students. Applicants are assessed on their:
- commitment to social responsibility, community service and creating a positive social impact
- ability to work effectively in a team and engage with a variety of stakeholders
- resilience and adaptability
- motivation to be part of the JCLA experience and how the experience will support growth towards achieving your future goals and aspirations
- your commitment to life-long learning
Applications for JCLA 2021 are open from Monday 21 September until Monday 5 October.