Science and Engineering fieldwork, placement and industry project portal

COVID-19 travel restrictions are currently in place

In light of the ongoing travel restrictions and border closures, the Faculty of Science and Engineering will continue to suspend travel programs in line with the regulations put in place by the State Government of Western Australia and Australian Federal Government. Students residing in Western Australia are allowed to resume travel in line with the state governments allowances and are required to complete Travel Approval Requests (TOP) prior to departing the Metro Area. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates regarding travel programs as this information becomes available.

Industry placement approvals

All industry placements attributed to your course, through curricular (unit based) or co-curricular (course required – such as Engineering and BTech logbooks) must be reviewed and approved by the WIL office before you commence the placement.

To enable a generic understanding we have called these activities “internships”, however they can also be referred to as placements, vac work, serviced learning, sandwich learning programs and WIL engagements. All of these terms cover broader WIL activity which must be approved by Curtin before they are undertaken.

For more information about our insurance policies and fieldwork, please see our Fieldwork Insurance Policy page.

Request processing times

Standard assessment times will apply (10 – 14 business days), requests will be actioned actioned in the order they are received. Students who have missed the deadline and have not received approval for their placement/s, will need to delay their start date until a formal review and approval is provided by the WIL team.

Before you apply

Before you apply, please ensure:

  • You have been made a formal placement offer
  • The placement must be undertaken within a safe environment
  • Your potential supervisor is willing to complete the necessary performance review for your unit (see your unit outline) or logbook requirements (see logbook link above). The university may contact your supervisor during the placement for a progress update.
  • You have all the relevant documentation to attach to your application (listed below)

Make sure you supply all requested documents and complete all required fields in the online form to prevent delaying your placement review. Once we have made our assessment we will inform you of the outcome via email.

What type of placement are you undertaking?

Domestic - Unpaid Internships

  • Submit a Student Placement Form once you have been given a formal offer
  • Fieldwork Agreement
    The host organisation will need to complete the agreement, this is the mechanism which allows the University to cover your placement with insurances (Personal Accident and Public Liability) during your unpaid placement. The agreement is managed by the WIL Office, you will be included / informed of the agreement status after the first review.
  • Fieldwork Preliminary Risk Identification Form (FWPRI). This must be completed by you and signed by a representative at your Host Organisation, this will be issued out digitally by the WIL office.
  • If placing internationally, you will need to facilitate the fieldwork agreement process directly with your supervisor if in a non-English country or organisation. You will also need to complete a Travel Request (TOP – instructions are provided in the placement form).

Domestic - Paid Internships

  • Submit a Student Placement Form once you have a formal offer for placement
  • Payment is classed as ‘money for time worked’, allowances, compensations and living supplements are not classed as ‘paid incomes’
  • Remember you are considered an employee if being paid, and it is your employer’s responsibility to provide you with the necessary workplace insurances and coverage.

International - Engagements due to Covid-19

Curtin insurance does not apply to international engagement undertaken off-shore due to Covid-19 travel restrictions. However, students can request to have their activity recognised towards their course requirements (such as engineering and BTech logbooks) or unit requirements as an attribution to their studies once approved and lodged on record with the WIL team.

Please undertake the following actions to process your request.

  • Submit a Student Placement Form once you have a formal offer for placement
  • Select “International – Engagements due to Covid-19” when asked under what format your placement is being undertaken.
  • Please ensure that your industry partner has adequate insurance for your activity as it is their responsibility to provide you with the necessary workplace insurances and coverage

Logbook information and submissions

Information for students with a logbook requirement (also called a Graduation requirement). Please find information below relevant to your logbook and the digital submission process as well as a the Frequently Asked Questions [.PDF 858KB].

General logbook information

Please download the relevant logbook to your course of study below:

Download First Aid Certificate guide:

Download logbook reflective report guide:

All students are reminded that placements, fieldwork and internships need to be recorded and reviewed by the WIL Office prior to commencement. In the event that the activity is unpaid, under the Fair Work Act 2009, Curtin will provide insurance once a full review has been provided for the activity.

Insurance Terms of Use and Certificates of Currency

Internship letter requests

Students who are requested to provide an internship letter confirming their logbook hours requirement by the host organisation or for an application, please submit your internship letter request at the online form.

Logbook submissions (digital)

Student submitting their logbooks digitally will need to review both documents below and ensure that they meet the digital submission standards.

Logbook questions and support

erhaps you are trying to connect with an academic staff member for information about your Engineering Logbook requirements.

Logbook questions may include:

  • Which category to claim an experience under
  • First aid certificate requirement (and/or white cards)
  • Or general logbook information that is not previously referred to in the ‘Logbook information and submissions‘ section above.

To lodge a request for support about your Engineering Logbook, please visit Curtin Connect and follow the instructions below.

How to lodge a logbook support request:

  • Go to
  • Select “Lodge a Request”
  • Click on “Managing your course”
  • Select “Work experience, first aid and other course requirements”
  • Click “continue to support form”

Engineers Australia Free Memberships

Curtin students undertaking accredited undergraduate Engineering degrees are entitled to free student membership, as well as free short-term graduate membership after completion of their degree.

Find more information about free memberships and Engineers Australia.

Undergraduate students

Want to make connections to help you find a job as an engineering professional when you graduate? Engineers Australia’s free Student Membership gives you exclusive opportunities to build your professional network, develop employability skills and stand out in the job market.  You’ll also get access to brilliant technical resources, development opportunities, exclusive invitations, discounts and more.

Recent graduates

Graduate Membership with Engineers Australia gives you the inside lane to getting into your first professional engineering role, and succeeding once you’re there. You’ll have exclusive opportunities to connect with interested employers, develop yourself personally and technically and meet exciting people from your professional community, in addition to a fantastic range of discounts and exclusive invitations.