Study abroad through a non-partner university

If you would like to study overseas at an institution that Curtin doesn’t have a partnership with, this is called Study Abroad, not student exchange.

Two students in front of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York

Study Abroad is a self-directed experience where you manage your application and study arrangements yourself using the following process:

  1. Select the non-partner host university where you wish to study.
  2. Research the study you want to undertake at the non-partner host university.
  3. Apply directly to the proposed host university (their Study Abroad application instructions should be available on their website).
  4. Seek approval from your Course Coordinator by completing the Study Plan Proposal Form [.pdf 142kB].
    If you are applying for credit in place of electives you will still need to have this approved by your course coordinator.
    All students in the Faculty of Business and Law should contact for credit approval and enrolment.
    This is not the same as the CRL process and you will need to contact for the appropriate forms and instructions.
  5. Complete the Curtin University Overseas Study Application Form [.pdf 164KB] and submit this to along with your completed Study Plan Proposal Form. We recommend that you submit this documentation as early as possible.
  6. When you return from the program, to receive to credit you will need to submit your official transcript and marking key to
  7. Pay tuition fees directly to the host university. This amount varies between universities, countries and courses.

As you’ll be studying at a non-partner university, you may be required to pay international student fees which you are unable to defer through HECS. You should confirm with Centrelink to check if you will be eligible for Centrelink payments while studying overseas.

If you are an international student, you are unable to study at a non-partnered university and must select to study at a Curtin partner university.