How to apply for semester and year-long exchange

Students together at a university

Consider going on exchange early in your degree as this generally provides the most flexibility and more opportunities!

Please note: We are currently accepting applications for Semester 2, 2022. However, we won’t begin processing these until Curtin has made a decision regarding travel restrictions for Semester 2, 2022. Please do not make any commitments before Go Global advise.

In the meantime, we encourage you to build your global portfolio with one of our many Global Online Programs and subscribe to Go Global alerts to ensure you don’t miss out on new opportunities, events, competitions and other exciting information!

Check your eligibility below

Eligibility criteria

To apply for a semester or year-long exchange program you must be able to meet the following requirements upon assessment of your application:

  • be admitted in an undergraduate coursework degree or be admitted into a postgraduate degree that has a minimum 300 credits at a Curtin campus (you can apply while on an approved Leave of Absence, but must be enrolled prior to departure)
  • have a course weighted average (CWA) of 60 or above in your current course of study (some partner universities may require a higher CWA)
  • have an academic status of ‘Good Standing’ with no academic misconduct, prior to departure
    be able to maintain full-time enrolment and attendance at the partner university
  • have completed an approved Study Plan Proposal form.

To go on semester exchange, undergraduate students must be at least in their first semester of the second year of their course. Postgraduate students must be in at least the second semester of their course, but this can be reviewed if you have completed a Curtin undergraduate degree. This can also be negotiated if you wish to study at another Curtin Campus.

If you don’t meet the eligibility requirements, you may have your application assessed on a case-by-case basis, based on circumstance and merit. Additional documentation, including an Academic Reference may be requested to support your application.


The following students are not eligible to apply for the semester
exchange program:

  • Australia Award Students (AAS)
  • Open University Australia enrolled students (OUA)
  • Students admitted in non-degree programs
  • Students admitted in a Curtin graduate certificate, graduate diploma or postgraduate course of 200 credits or less (unless applying to study at another Curtin campus).

Sponsored students must seek approval from Go Global prior to applying for exchange.

Follow these steps to apply

Step 1: How to get started

Attend a Go Global information session

These sessions are the best way to learn about the opportunities available and the program that is the best fit for you. We’ll show you how to start your application and answer any questions you may have.

Check out the session times HERE!

Step 2: How to submit your application

Once you have confirmed your eligibility and considered your destination options, you’re ready to start your application. Don’t forget to keep our application deadline dates in mind when putting your application together!

2.1 Prepare your Study Plan Proposal Form
One of the best parts of going on exchange is that your studies count towards your Curtin degree! To ensure you will receive credit, you need to complete a Study Plan Proposal Form and have your course coordinator check and approve your units to confirm the credit value and they you will receive credit.
TIP: Head to our Planning and Support page for videos to help you with your Study Plan Proposal Form!

2.2 Does your course include elective units?
We recommend that you use these when going on exchange as this will provide you with greater flexibility and more options as to where you can go on exchange. You are required to have four preferred units approved and two alternative units approved prior to submitting your application. When it comes time to enrol into your units at the host university, your preferred units may be unavailable due to class limits, timetable clashes, or other circumstances. If this occurs you will need to reselect units from your alternative approved units.
Unless otherwise advised, you only need to complete a study plan proposal for your first host university preference.

You will be required to take a full-time study load while on exchange (i.e. Curtin enrolment of 75 to 100 credits) as well as meeting the minimum enrolment requirements of the host university.

2.3 How to choose your units and have them approved for a partner university
Visit the partner websites and identify which courses they offer. You will need to identify units (courses or modules) that contain similar content to your Curtin unit and submit this to your Course Coordinator for approval and obtain their signature on your Study Plan Proposal Form.

2.3 Study at another Curtin campus
As the units offered at Curtin campuses are delivered in English and have the same content as Curtin Perth units, preparing your Study Plan Proposal Form will be quick and easy. You will remain enrolled as a Curtin Perth student and pay your tuition to Curtin Perth. You will need to check the Curtin Handbook to establish which of your required units are available at the Curtin campuses and then submit your Study Plan Proposal Form to your course coordinator for approval and their signature.

2.4 Submit your Go Global Online Application
Complete your Go Global Exchange Application Form online. Within the application, you will be asked to upload a completed copy of your study plan proposal and a current scanned copy of your passport.
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be assessed and you will be advised via your Curtin student email on the outcome of your application to participate in the Curtin Exchange Program. This email will usually be sent to you about three weeks after the application deadline.

Step 3: How to be nominated

The next step is for the Go Global team to seek a placement for you at one of your preferred host universities. We will always seek a placement for you at your first preference, but this may not always be possible.

Step 4: How to apply to your host

Once a nomination has been accepted by the host university you will be instructed to complete the host university application form and supporting documents. This is not an acceptance into their exchange program, you are simply being invited to complete an application. The official acceptance may take some
time to arrive after your application submission, so please be patient.

The application process for each university will be different, so read all the information provided by the host university carefully and follow the instructions provided by the host university and/or your Go Global coordinator. If you’re applying for student exchange to another Curtin campus, the Go Global team will provide you with the required documents you need to submit to finalise your enrolment.

Step 5: Begin!

Once you have been formally accepted by the host university, you can plan your adventure. This is when you’ll need to start organising your accommodation and travel. The host university will generally provide you with details about the required visas, accommodation and arrival dates. At this stage, you will also be put in contact with a student exchange advisor at the host university who will be able to assist you with specific questions about your exchange at their university The Go Global team will invite you to a mandatory Pre-departure session which will provide you with important information regarding your exchange requirements.

Tips and things to remember!

Support is available!

Head to our planning and support page for helpful videos and other ways that our team can help you.

Know the lingo!
Keep in mind, many of the partner universities use different terminology, have different semester dates and different credit systems.

  • In the US, Canada and Asia, a unit is called a course and a course is called a program. In the UK and Europe, a unit is called a module. Each university will have different semester dates, with the academic year in most other countries commencing in August or September.
  • In the US, Canada and Asia, many partner universities will refer to their credits as credit hours. A full time load may be 12 to 16 credit hours, however this does vary between universities.
  • In the UK and Europe, many partner universities will refer to their credits as ECTS. In general, 7.5 ECTS is the equivalent value of 25 Curtin credits but this is at the discretion of your study plan approver.

Do you have a valid passport?
If you don’t travel overseas regularly, you may discover that your passport has expired or is due to expire while you are away. If you are currently applying or renewing a passport, please submit it once you have your valid document. credits but this is at the discretion of your study plan approver.

Information for international students

While you are participating in the semester exchange program you are required to continue to meet your Australian student visa conditions.

Contact us!


Phone: 1300 222 888 (ask Concierge for Go Global)

Visit us at one of our Drop in sessions.