The Big Idea
The Big Idea is a national competition where students will plan a business that creates positive social outcomes. You don’t need to have an idea to get started…all you need is passion to make positive change in your community!
This is a fantastic opportunity not to be missed as you will be provided with training, get to learn from thought leaders and also have the chance to win some awesome prizes, including the latest Apple iPad for each member of the winning team!
As if that is not enough, The Big Idea @ Curtin 2020 is also a Curtin Extra recognised program, which means you can gain official transcript recognition for your participation.
Applications for The Big Idea @ Curtin 2020 CLOSE at 8am (AWST) on Thursday 20 August 2020. Get yours in today!
All participants will receive…
- Access to workshops that will take you from idea development through to pitching.
- Access to thought leaders such as Fiona Nixon – Head of Strategy and Communications Bank Australia, Amy Hetherington – Editor The Big Issue, Clifford Moss – Co-Founder Goodsmiths and Good Business Matters and many more! Full list including bios available here.
The prize for the Winners will have two components:
- The latest Apple iPad for each member of the winning team;
- A professional immersion day at The Big Idea’s (TBI) head office in Melbourne, between January 2021 and March 2021 on a non-transferable date to be nominated by TBI, which includes:
- providing each winner with the opportunity to participate in a full day of experience at TBI’s head office;
- return economy class flights (including all taxes and charges) from each winning team member’s nearest Australian capital city to Melbourne; and
- a single night of accommodation, of not less than 3 star rating up to the value of AU$150 for each member of the winning team.
NOTE: In the event that TBI is unable to supply a component of the prize, TBI reserves the right to supply an alternative prize that TBI considers to be of similar value.
Application deadline: Thursday 20 August 2020 @ 8am AWST
Workshop 1 (in-person at Perth campus*) – Thursday 27 August, 5pm to 7pm
Workshop 2 (online) – Thursday 17 September, 5pm to 7pm
Workshop 3 (online) – Thursday 24 September, 5pm to 7pm
Consultation session with The Big Issue (online) – Thursday 8 or Friday 9 October (time TBC)
Internal judging (mode TBC) – Friday 16 October (time TBC)
Semi-final judging (online) – Tuesday 10 November or Wednesday 11 November (time TBC)
Finals judging (mode TBC) – Tuesday 24 November (time TBC)
The Big Idea @ Curtin 2020 is a Curtin Extra recognised program which means you stand a chance to gain official transcript recognition for your participation. More information, including eligibility requirements, will be provided after you sign up.
The Big Idea @ Curtin 2020 is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate Curtin students.
You can apply as an individual or as a team (6 person limit).
You don’t need to already have an idea to join…we can provide you with resources that may help you come up with one.
You need to be a motivated self-starter as much of the learning will be self-directed.
You need to be willing to share your ideas in group discussions.
You will also be required to attend workshops, consultations and pitch sessions; please take note of the Important Dates above.
You need to read and agree to the Terms and Conditions in the application form.
Apply for a spot in The Big Idea @ Curtin 2020
Don’t miss out on this fantastic opportunity! Applications close at 8am (AWST) on Thursday 20 August 2020. Submit your application today!