Online Student Orientation
We understand that online study can be exciting, rewarding, and a very new way of studying for some people. Orientation is your opportunity to find your way around your online learning environment, explore what support services are available to you and connect with your classmates online.
As an online student, there are three key steps in your Orientation:
- Completing key tasks before classes begin
- Registering and watching the Mature Age & Part Time Orientation Webinar
- Developing your study skills through our online workshops and learning more about the support services available
Complete the key tasks in OASIS
OASIS is where you can complete your enrolment, check messages and access Blackboard, Curtin’s learning management system.
Log in to OASIS to complete the tasks below:
Log in to OASIS and follow the prompts to enrol in your units. If you’re studying on campus, you can register for classes and create your class timetable.
Unit outlines give you details of tasks, assessments, contact details for each unit you are enrolled in. Find your unit outlines in the ‘My Studies’ tab in OASIS. If they’re not available to view yet, check back closer to the start of the semester.
Important messages and updates come via two channels: your student email and your Official Communications Channel (OCC), both accessible through OASIS. Check these channels at least once a week to ensure you don’t miss important information
As a Curtin student, you have access to a range of free and discounted software. Follow the steps below to download your free copy of Microsoft Office 365.
- Within the OASIS ‘Welcome’ tab, click on ‘Open your OASIS email’.
- Click ‘Office 365’ in the top left corner of the page.
- Select ‘Install Office’ and follow the prompts.
If you need help, see the Microsoft Office help page.
Completed your tasks in OASIS?
Here’s what else you need to do to get ready for your first week of the semester.
Blackboard is Curtin’s learning management system and is where you’ll find the learning resources for your units. Read through the Blackboard student guides and get familiar with Blackboard’s online tools and functions
iLecture allows you to access recordings of your unit lecturers or other video-based resources prepared by your lecturers. Learn about how to use iLecture’s features in the iLecture student guide.
There are plenty of ways you can communicate with your tutors, lecturers and fellow students, which will make online studying a rich and interactive experience.
Learn how to use your student email and discussion boards to communicate with your peers.
Undergraduate and enabling program students will be matched with an online mentor who will help you through your first semester at Curtin. Your mentor will email you in the first week of semester.
If you’re a postgraduate student, you can apply for a mentor through the Curtin Student Guild’s Postgraduate Mentor Program.
Successful online students are able to balance studying with other life commitments. Boost your time management skills with the free Study Skills online Time Management workshop.
Follow the New to Curtin Facebook page for useful tips and tricks from other students on how to have a successful first semester at Curtin.
View the Orientation sessions online
View the range of Faculty Welcome and information sessions that were run during Semester One O-Week at the Bentley Campus. Choose a session to review below.
View your compulsory academic sessions to introduce you to your course and key staff.
- Health Sciences Undergraduate Welcome
- Health Sciences Postgraduate Welcome
- UniReady Welcome
- Faculty of Business & Law Undergraduate Welcome
- Curtin Business School Postgraduate Welcome
- Science Welcome
- Science & Engineering Postgraduate Welcome
- Humanities Undergraduate Welcome
- Humanities Postgraduate Welcome
- Engineering Orientation
- High Degree by Research Orientation (Coming soon)
Learn the basics of university and being a Curtin student.
- Official Welcome Ceremony
- Access-Ability Services Information Session
- Fees Information Session for Domestic Students
- Fees Information Session for International Students
- International Orientation
- Life as a Double Degree Student
- Mature Age Orientation & Part Time Student Orientation
- OASIS, Blackboard & IT Essentials
- Succeeding at Uni
- UniHub & Careers