Before you leave home

Use this guide to packing and planning your finances to make sure you’re prepared for your move.

What to pack

Here are some things you’ll need to bring with you when you move to Perth or Kalgoorlie.

Passport and documents (for international students)

If you’re an international student, you’ll need to bring:

Your passport

Check your passport expiry date before departure as renewing a passport in Australia can take some time.


You must bring the following documents with you to Curtin:

  • Letter of Offer – do not lose this document as you will need to present it when you enrol
  • Original or certified copies of your qualifications
  • Driver’s licence (if any)
  • Medical history or prescriptions required for ongoing medication.


Most days, students wear comfortable, casual clothes such as jeans, t-shirts and skirts. Everyday wear is acceptable clothing for classes at Curtin.

September to March are the warmer months, with average temperatures ranging from 18 to 38 degrees Celsius. April to August are generally colder months, with average temperatures ranging from 7 to 19 degrees Celsius. A warm, waterproof jacket is necessary during these months.

Household items

Most accommodation, except homestay, will not include equipment such as cooking utensils, sheets and blankets. You may choose to bring some of these items with you. Alternatively, products can be purchased from a wide variety of stores. Secondhand household items are also available at cheap prices.

Note: electricity in Western Australia is 240v50 cycles AC. Adaptors are readily available in Perth and at some stores in Kalgoorlie.

Perth and Kalgoorlie both have supermarkets and large discount stores where you can buy clothes, toiletries, household items, bedding, furniture and more. There are also secondhand shops and online marketplaces such as Gumtree or Ebay.

Planning your finances

Check these items to make sure you’re prepared financially for your move to Perth or Kalgoorlie.

Establishment costs

Planning your budget and finances is an important element of making the most of your time in Perth.

You will need to budget for both your establishment costs when you arrive in Perth and your day-to-day living expenses.

See the ‘Planning your budget’ page for suggested establishment costs and weekly budgets for living costs.

Note: do not send money for living expenses with tuition fee payments. The University does not disburse student living allowances and will not refund the money.

Transferring money from overseas

If you’re an international student wishing to transfer money from overseas, you’ll need to:

  • complete either a telegraphic transfer or bank draft
  • include the SWIFT code, account number and BSB number of the account into which you wish to deposit funds.

Note: bank drafts take six to eight weeks to process unless the draft is in Australian dollars and drawn on an Australian bank. There may be fees involved with both transactions.

Opening a bank account

If you need to open a bank account, you’ll need to visit a bank branch and take your passport with you for identification. You are not able to open an Australian bank account while overseas.

Additional fees and charges

Some courses require payment for retainable materials and course-related fees, such as laboratory coats, protective clothing or uniforms, travel and accommodation costs while on field placement, and first aid training.
Please refer to the Study at Curtin website for related incidental fees. For other fees and charges, contact your relevant teaching area or visit our fees and charges page.

Text and reference books

You will also need to budget around A$150–400 per semester for text and reference books. There is a Co-Op Bookshop located on the Perth Campus.  Cheaper, secondhand books are available from the Student Guild’s Secondhand Bookshop and from students who advertise on noticeboards around campus.

Parking fees

Curtin has a pay-as-you-go system for parking fees on the Perth Campus, which you activate via the CellOPark app. There are no fees to park at the Kalgoorlie Campus.

Motor vehicle expenses

Buying a car will incur additional expenses such as petrol, insurance and licence costs. The RAC Car Running Cost Guide provides a guide to running costs for a motor vehicle in Western Australia.

Start thinking about accommodation

If you plan to live on campus, check out the various housing options on the Perth Campus and the residential college in Kalgoorlie.

If you plan to live off campus, see our information about off-campus housing.

There is also short-term accommodation available in Perth and Kalgoorlie.