Higher degree by research Orientation
The Orientation Session for higher degree by research (HDR) students (doctoral and masters by research) sets the scene for research study at Curtin and includes hints for surviving your first year and beyond. We recommend you also attend other activities being offered around the university so you get familiar with the campus, your specific school/department and key areas such as the library.
HDR Students – Orientation Semester 2, 2021
Date: Thursday, 22 July 2021, 9:00am – 12:30pm (TBC)
Presenters: Various, led by the Dean, Graduate Studies.
Where: Online (link will be emailed to registered participants)
Register: Please register on UniHub from May (or go to UniHub homepage – Events – workshops, and search ‘HDR Orientation’)
The session includes presentations from the Dean, Graduate Studies, experienced supervisors, the Library, Curtin Careers, Employment, and Leadership; the Curtin Institute for Computation; and the Student Guild (the Postgraduate Students’ Committee).
HDR orientation resources
There are many areas across Curtin that provide services and support to you and your supervisor, including the Graduate Research School (GRS). The GRS administers HDR related policies, procedures and guidelines. Knowledge and awareness of these are essential for your progress. The Orientation handouts and links below will also give you easy access to important information.
HDR Orientation program, 25 February 2021 [.doc 700KB]
- Overview of HDR process HDR Orientation S1 2021 [.pptx 803 KB]
- Student experience by David Hach Soeur S1 2021 [.pptx 15,502 KB]
- Research Integrity HDR Orienttion S1 2021 [.pptx 2,685 KB]
- Post-Entry Language Assessment HDR Orientation S1 2021 [.pptx 117 KB]
- CIC Computation services HDR Orientation S1 2021 (on Cloudstore) [.pdf 138,310 KB]
- Copyright SV Induction S1 2021 [.pptx 2,940KB]
- Careers and Leadership HDR Orientation S1 2021 [.pdf 8,039 KB]
- Library Resources and workshops S1 2021 [.pdf 1,660 KB]
- Research Data Management HDR Orientation S1 2021 [.pptx 2,790 KB]
- Guild and PSC HDR Presentation S1 2021 [.pdf 2,242 KB]
- Q and A from the audience [.pdf 104 KB]