Leave of absence

Once you are admitted to your course you are expected to study continuously in each relevant study period following admission. However we understand that because of unforeseen circumstances you may wish to take a break from study.  As such you may be entitled to take leave of absence from your course.  

  • If you have not yet commenced your undergraduate course you may request to defer your offer  via eStudent > My Offers in OASIS.
  • If you have commenced or you are studying a postgraduate course you may apply for a leave of absence (LOA).

Before applying for a leave of absence we recommend you speak with a Wellbeing Advisor to discuss your options.

To apply for a leave of absence (LOA) you will need to follow the appropriate process.

Domestic students

Domestic students for undergraduate or postgraduate courses complete a Leave of Absence form.

Submit the form to your Student Services Office prior to the withdrawal deadline.

You will receive advice via your official communication channel in OASIS advising you of your LOA status.

International students

International students may be permitted to take a leave of absence in exceptional circumstances.

To apply complete a Leave of Absence – International Onshore Students form and submit it via our online enquiry webform  for approval along with relevant supporting documentation.

You will receive advice via your official communication channel in OASIS advising you of your LOA status.

Curtin - Open Universities Australia (OUA)

Curtin OUA students must submit their Leave of Absence application to OUA directly. More information can be found on the OUA website.

Withdrawing without leave of absence

If you withdraw from all units prior to the census date and you do not have an approved leave of absence in place you will not have maintained continuity of enrolment and your course status may be changed to Absent Without Leave (AWOL). You may lose your place in the course and will be required to re-apply to the course when you wish to return. Further information can be found in the Admission and Enrolment Manual.