Blackboard is Curtin’s learning management system. To access Blackboard, go to the My Studies tab in OASIS, then click the Blackboard button in the Important Links channel at the top left of the screen.
This section provides comprehensive guides about all of the online tools and functionality which you may encounter in Blackboard while studying at Curtin.
You can easily send email to your lecturer, tutor or other students in your class.
Stay on track with what’s happening in your unit.
Journals are private online spaces where you can post reflections on your work, or on set topics.
Discussion boards are a great way to keep in touch with your the rest of your class.
- View guide
- Create a post
- Create a new thread
- Reply to a thread
- Organise posts
- View discussion board grades
Wikis – Blackboard
Wikis are collaborative online writing spaces shared by the whole class.
Blogs are online spaces where you can post individual blog entries and the rest of the class can read and comment on your posts.
Assessments on Blackboard
Find out how to submit your assignments electronically through Blackboard .
Online tests, quizzes and surveys
Some online units may contain eTests and quizzes.
If your lecturer has set up group assignments, one member of the group can submit the assignment on behalf of all the members.
Use the My Grades tool to access your results and feedback from your lecturer.
Work in groups
If your lecturer has enabled groups and group tools, you may have access to group email, discussion boards and the ability to exchange files.
If you lecturer has enabled groups and group tools, you can email your group or exchange files within it.
Customise your group homepage
You can customise the group banner, add modules and change the group colour scheme.
If a unit isn’t appearing in Blackboard it is usually for one of the following reasons:
You cannot view your current units
- Go to the “Home” page/tab and on the “My Units” module, hover then click the gear icon in the top right corner.
- The “Group by Term” check box allows you to group your units by each semester/term. The units will be categorized by their respective semesters/terms.
- Under “Edit Course List” you can manually set which units will be displayed, what information will be displayed for each unit, and what order the units are in.
- Once you have finished, click Submit.
The unit does not have an online component
Not all units have an online component. Check your Unit Outline to confirm whether your unit should appear in Blackboard.
The unit has not been made available
Units are usually made available in Blackboard 7 days prior to the first day of the study period. However, your Lecturer may choose a different start date. If you have concerns that you are unable to see your Unit, please contact your lecturer.
Your enrolment details are incorrect
If you are incorrectly enrolled in a unit, you will not see the unit in Blackboard. To check your current enrolment:
- Open eStudent (click on the eStudent button on the My Studies tab in OASIS).
- Click Enrolment & Study Plans in the left hand menu. A sub menu will open.
- Click Current Enrolment Details in the sub menu.
- The units you are enrolled it will now be displayed. If your enrolment is incorrect, please contact Curtin Connect.
Check out the orientation video below to see how to login and access your online units. The video showcases what a typical Blackboard unit may look like.