Academic skills: training and resources
These are programs to support you in pursuing an academic career, with a specific focus on research capability.
Academic writing and thesis
Clinics 12 February 2020
Thesis Examination for HDR Students (slides and video presentation)
Seminar 1 October 2020
- Process of Thesis Examination 1 October 2020 [.pptx 178 KB]
- BB Collaborate Recording (1 hour 25 minutes]
Thesis by publication/hybrid thesis
Seminar 25 November 2019
- 01 Why do a hybrid thesis November 2019 by Professor Torbjorn Falkmer [.pptx 2,436KB]
- 02 Guidelines Hybrid Thesis November 2019 by Professor Garry Allison [.pptx 467KB]
- 03 Copyright Hybrid thesis November 2019 by John Brown [.pptx 2,940KB]
- 04 Student experience Hybrid thesis November 2019 by Alex Holman [.pptx 42KB]
GRASP – Research writing series
Turbocharge Your Writing by Hugh Kearns (video presentation)
Seminar 11 December 2019
Integrity and ethics
Conflict Resolution for HDR Students (presentation slides)
Copyright, Plagiarism and Self-plagiarism (slides and video presentation)
Seminar 16 May 2018
- iLecture Echo360 link
- Academic Integrity for HDR students [.pdf 2,782KB]
- Copyright Plagiarism Academic Integrity [.ppt 5,973KB]
Before you apply for ethics
Before you apply for ethics approval, you must complete the Research Initiation Guide (RIG) to identify any risks and hazards associated with your research.
Human ethics training
Animal ethics training
Creativity and cognitive ability
e-Grad School by the Australian Technology Network (online courses)
The e-Grad School (Australia) is a virtual graduate school providing fully online high quality training and professional development for post-graduate researchers. It’s modules are free for Curtin students.
The modules are five weeks duration and include topics to help you consider, critique and contextualise your research; lead projects, people and careers; and engage with innovation, end-users and industry.
Visit the eGSA Online modules website to view the timetable and download the flyer.
The Curtin Institute for Computation runs workshops on data and computation, including hands-on training sessions in software carpentry, data carpentry, coding, R and Python. Learn techniques for programming, data analysis and visualisation.
Introduction to nVivo and SPSS – Curtin Library seminar
Using SPSS (online workshop)
- Online program
Tools for data analysis – why use R? (Curtin Library Seminar)
Tools for data analysis – why use Python? (Curtin Library Seminar)
ResBaz 2019 – 2-4 July
Where: Perth campus.
Registration: coming soon!