Before you begin your candidature, you’re encouraged to attend orientation, explore your faculty’s research facilities and services, and familiarise yourself with our HDR code of conduct and other academic standards.

Pre-candidature essentials


Ensure you attend an Orientation session for research students at the start of your first semester. Learn more about Orientation for research students.

Essential facilities

*** Important Notice: The Guidelines for Essential Facilities For Higher Degree by Research  and Research Support Fund Reimbursement List were updated on the 5th December 2018. Please head to the Forms and Information sheets page for more information ***

Your School will provide you with access to a computer (desktop or laptop), printer access and appropriate software to support your research program. You will also be provided with a desk, secure storage and a telephone. Such resources may be shared, however your School will ensure that you have adequate and reasonable access commensurate to your research program and stage of candidature. If you require additional software, please contact CITS.

Data storage must be arranged as part of your Data Management Plan.

Ensure you read the Guidelines for Essential Facilities For Higher Degree by Research

Faculty-specific information

Each faculty at Curtin has specific information for their higher degree by research (HDR) students. Select your faculty to find out what you need to know.

Code of conduct, plagiarism, conflict of interest and complaints

Code of Conduct

You must abide by the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research in all your research activities.


It is your obligation to ensure you fully understand Curtin’s plagiarism policy for students to avoid any plagiarism issues. If you are in doubt please seek assistance from your supervisors, thesis chair or Director of Graduate Research.

Conflict of interest

If you suspect you may have a conflict of interest, read the Conflict of Interest procedures and register a conflict of interest (login required) if necessary.


If you have any complaints which have not been resolved in your School or Faculty you may direct complaints to the Dean of the Graduate Research School:

Also see:

The Integrity and Standards Unit can assist if you have any concerns or need clarification, advice or support in relation to the lodgement of management of a complaint.

Collaborative and joint PhD students

Collaborative and joint PhD students

As a collaborative or joint PhD student, you’ll need to meet a number of milestones. You will also have access to different research support funds and conference support.

Find out more

Master of Research students

Master of Research students

The Master of Research (MRes) is a unique HDR program, which means some information relevant to other HDR students will not apply to MRes students.

Find out more