HDR scholarships and funding

Various scholarships may be available to provide you with financial assistance during your higher degree by research. They can provide a living stipend or a tuition fee offset, or a combination of both.

Image link to new Research Training Program scholarships


Which scholarships can I apply for?

You can check which scholarships you’re eligible for on the Scholarships website. You can also sign up for a Scholarship Email Alert which will email you whenever a scholarship that matches your nominated criteria becomes available.

Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships

Image link to new Research Training Program scholarships

2020 Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarships 

RTP2020 Competitve Scholarship Applications will open 15th July 2019.

Applications are invited from suitably qualified students to apply for an Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships to undertake a Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) at Curtin University. The purpose of the RTP Scholarship is to attract top quality postgraduate students to the University so they can receive high quality research training that will contribute to the research and educational excellence of the university.

These scholarships are funded by the Australian Government and cover one or more of the following types of support:

  • Tuition fees offset for up to 4 years (full time load) depending of course and mode of study;
  • A stipend to assist students with their living costs while undertaking HDR study; and/or
  • An RTP allowance to assist students with ancillary costs which may include:
    • for overseas students, a standard Overseas Student Health Cover policy approved by the Commonwealth Department of Health which covers the student and may cover their spouse and any dependants;
    • Relocation costs to undertake a HDR at Curtin University; and
    • HDR thesis printing and applicable publication costs.

Assessment Criteria

Applicants will be assessed against the following metrics:

  1. Basis of admission;
  2. Academic qualifications;
  3. Achievement of candidacy;
  4. Work-related research experience;
  5. Academic accomplishments;
  6. Research and creative outputs of demonstrable quality;
  7. Referee report; and
  8. Strategic aligned projects.

Further information on the assessment process can be found here.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply you must:

  1. Be a current or future student, either domestic or international; and
  2. Satisfy the entry requirements or be already admitted into a Masters by Research or Research Doctorate at Curtin University including meetings Curtin’s English proficiency levels.

Applications Open: 9am WST Monday 15th July 2019

Applications Close: 5pm WST Sunday 1st September 2019

How to apply

Step 1. Check your eligibility.

Step 2. Submit a request for admission into Curtin University via eApplications. You will need to complete this step prior to submitting your scholarship application in order to be given a student ID number.

Note: Applicants who only want admission into Curtin University ONLY when they will also be awarded a RTP Scholarship must indicate this on their eApplication for admission and scholarship application. If you are unsuccessful in being shortlisted for this scholarship, your application for admission will not be progressed. Selecting this option may delay the notification of the outcome of your application for admission.

Step 3. Read the RTP2020 Instructions for Applicants document and follow the instructions on how to prepare your application documents.

Document Templates (follow the naming conventions detailed in the instructions for applicants):

What happens next?

Your application will be assessed through a competitive selection process and first round offers will be made by December. Reserve list candidates will be notified in January.

We do not provide up-dates on the progression of your applications until the final rankings are determined. This will be no earlier than the 2nd week in December 2019. You can contact your Curtin Supervisor for additional information however the Graduate Research School is unable to provide direct feedback during the assessment period, further questions can be addressed by reading our Research Training Program – Frequently Asked Questions for students. 

This is highly competitive and the success rate is less than 20% Domestic and 10% for international candidates.  There is a reserve list for highly ranking applicants who may be forwarded a scholarship opportunity if any first round awardees decline their offer. You will be informed of the success of your application and if you have been placed on the reserve list.

Collaborative Scholarships

Aberdeen-Curtin PhD scholarships

The Aberdeen-Curtin Alliance offers students the opportunity to undertake an international collaborative PhD in projects across a broad range of focus areas including energy and engineering, health and medicine, and business. View projects and find out how to apply.

Research support funds and student mobility (travel)

Research support funds (formerly consumables)

The Research Office at Curtin (ROC) provides discretionary funding to support HDR students undertake their research projects. This discretionary funding is administered according to the arrangements set out in the Guidelines for Essential Facilities For Higher Degree by Research and Research Support Fund Reimbursement List

It is important for students and supervisors to note that any funding made available by the ROC to support HDR research is discretionary and the allocation, administration arrangements and permitted uses may change from time to time throughout a student’s enrolment.


You can access your Research Support Funds on a reimbursement basis through the Concur system.  A Concur account will be created for you once you achieve Milestone 1 (Candidacy) and you will receive information on accessing and using your account at that time. You are strongly encouraged to complete and submit the Concur Claim Form when making a claim for reimbursement. This will assist the Concur team to assess the eligibility of your claim as soon as possible.

Lab, fieldwork and creative production costs

If you are undertaking a study which requires you to purchase essential materials, lab resources or data, or you need to undertake fieldwork, you may make a claim for reimbursement of your expenses from your research support allowance.

Information about your research support allowance is contained in the Guidelines for Essential Facilities For Higher Degree by Research.

Read the Research Support Fund Reimbursement List for more information about types of items you can claim.

Editorial support

You may use your Research Support Funding for editorial support. Please ensure you follow the provisions in the Guideline for Professional Thesis Editing

Mobility allowance (formerly conference support)

The Research Office at Curtin (ROC) provides discretionary funding to support Doctoral students to participate in a scholarly conference. This discretionary funding is administered according to the arrangements set out in the Guidelines for Essential Facilities For Higher Degree by Research.

Curtin will provide funding to assist Doctoral students to participate in at least one national or international conference. The maximum* amount of funding for each student to support conference participation is AU$2,500, or MYR$2,500 for Curtin Sarawak students.

*It is important for students and supervisors to note that the funding made available by the ROC to support HDR conference participation is discretionary and the maximum value and administration arrangements may change from time to time throughout a student’s enrolment.

Travelling for research

During your candidature you may have reason to travel directly related to your HDR research. This may be for data collection, specialised training, internships or fieldwork purposes. Read the Guidelines for Essential Facilities For Higher Degree by Research about funding to support Fieldwork and Conference Travel.

Before arranging any travel, you must consult the Travel Approval website to ensure you follow the correct procedures for a safe and productive trip. All student travel, regardless of the source of funding, needs to be approved via the Travel Operations Portal before departure to ensure your trip is registered for insurance purposes. See the Risk and Assurance website for more information about insurance and to view the coverage of Curtin’s travel insurance policy.

All travel funded in part or total by Curtin must be booked through a travel facilitator.

International onshore students 

Please note that your OSHC medical insurance does not cover you when you are on fieldwork, attending conferences or other approved university business outside Australia so you must also obtain approval for travelling overseas as detailed above. Additionally, if you are leaving Australia for fieldwork or data collection, you must complete the Offshore Fieldwork and Data Collection form. You can request the form by emailing io-visa@curtin.edu.au. You must return your completed form, signed by your supervisor, to io-visa@curtin.edu.au before your departure.

Scholarship holders 

If you’re in receipt of a scholarship, please ensure you seek approval to travel from the Research Scholarships Office in the Graduate Research School (ROC.GRS@curtin.edu.au). Failure to obtain approval may result in your travel not being processed.


Curtin offers insurance cover for some activities you may undertake as part of your research. This includes various levels of cover for travel, liability, medical treatment liability, personal accident and property insurance.

For more information, see the insurance policies on the Curtin Risk and Assurance website or email riskmanagement@curtin.edu.au.