Radiation safety

If your research or teaching involves radioactive substances, high powered lasers, x-ray or neutron emitting apparatus and UV transilluminators, you must abide by the restrictions imposed by the Radiation Safety Act 1975 and associated regulations.

All such substances and instruments must be registered and most can only be used under the supervision of a suitably qualified individual with an appropriate WA government issued licence. All Curtin projects using such materials and instruments must be approved by the University Radiation Safety Committee before work commences.

If you’re planning radiation related work or have questions about radiation safety, contact your local radiation safety supervisor (RSS). To comply with workplace procedures, you must report any accidents or incidents and raise any safety, health or security concerns with the RSS. Each individual is responsible for taking reasonably practicable steps to ensure their own safety when working with radiation.

Learn more about: