Contacts and help for research students

A summary table: Who to ask for help with HDR matters [.pdf 32KB]

Help in your School

Each school has a Director of Graduate Research (DGR) who oversees the management of HDR programs in schools. If you have not been able to get appropriate help from your supervisor, the following queries should be directed to your DGR (or School administration support team).

  • Requests to identify a supervisor
  • Trouble filling out forms required for your HDR program/progress
  • Checking on the progress of a Milestone application
  • Advice on changing your enrolment status or taking leave
  • Advice on funding sources
  • Advice about School level computing resources/issues
  • Requests for sessional teaching/research work
  • Requests to help you establish mobility opportunities.

The Graduate Research School

The Graduate Research School (GRS) oversees high level policy, administration and leadership matters related to Curtin’s HDR programs. You may need to contact the GRS is you are having issues in your course and you have not been able to have these adequately addressed at the School or Faculty level.

You may also come into contact with the GRS if your enrolment status is set to conditional or during your thesis examination.

If you are a current student and need advice from the Graduate Research School please email or phone (08) 9266 3337 (and select 2).

Visiting the Graduate Research School

You are welcome to come and discuss your matters with a member of the GRS team in our consultation zone. The GRS consultation zone is located in Building 101 on the Bentley Campus.

Building 101 is a shared working space for a number of Curtin administration teams so please ensure you make an appointment for your visit.

If you are having difficulties with your supervisor

If you are experiencing difficulties with your supervisor you should raise these with your thesis chair.

If you feel it is not appropriate to discuss your concerns with your thesis chair, or you feel your thesis chair has not adequately addressed your concerns, you should raise the matter with the Director of Graduate Research (DGR) for your School.

If you feel it is not appropriate to discuss your concerns with your DGR, or you feel your DGR has not adequately addressed your concerns, you should raise the matter with your Head of School or the Dean of Research for your faculty.

If you feel your concerns have not been appropriately addressed at the School and Faculty level, you should raise your concerns with the Associate Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research Excellence.

You may also seek advice from the Curtin Student Guild’s Student Assist team. Student Assist is a support and advocacy service. You can visit the Guild at Building 106F on Bentley Campus, call Student Assist on 9266 2900 or email:

You may also consider the following:

Student Wellbeing Advisory Service

Struggling with a personal or study issue? Or is something else making life difficult? Maybe you are just confused about the campus or some university paperwork? Contact Curtin’s Student Wellbeing Advisory Service for helpful, caring, confidential assistance.

Important note: In the event of emergency, especially if any person is in danger, call the Police on 000.

Curtin Counselling Services

Curtin’s Counselling Services Team offers students a safe professional environment to deal with any issues affecting work or study. They provide a free and confidential service that focuses on short-term therapy.

Curtin Safer Community Team

The Safer Community Team offer 24 hour service, every day of the year to the Bentley, Technology Park, CBD and Kalgoorlie campuses.

The Safer Community Team offer a range of services and systems to keep our campuses safe and friendly. The team are trained to manage general safety and security issues, in addition to complex crisis issues such as physical and sexual assault.

Phone: (08) 9266 4444 or email: