Fees glossary

The table below provides explanations and links to further information for some of the most common terms used when explaining fees at Curtin.

If you cannot find the term you are looking for you can search through the frequently asked questions or contact Curtin Connect.

BPAY BPAY is a method of payment you can make from your cheque, savings or credit account, either online or via phone. 
Census date The Census date is the date at which your enrolment is considered final. Refer to Census date page for further information. 
Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) contains information about your enrolment and use of Commonwealth assistance. Higher education providers must issue a CAN to each of their Commonwealth assisted students after the census date. 
Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) This is your unique identifier, allocated to all students accessing Commonwealth assistance for higher education. 
Commonwealth supported place A Commonwealth supported place is subsidised by the Australian Government. Students are only liable for a student contribution amount. 
Refer to Government assistance page  for more details. 
Course A course of study leading to a higher education award or an enabling course. A combined or double degree is one course of study. 
Credit for recognised learning (CRL) Credit for study previously undertaken or experience. Formerly known as recognition for prior learning (RPL).
Refer to the CRL page for further information.
Curtin ePay ePay is an online payment system that is the preferred payment method for Curtin University.  
Domestic fee paying This refers to places held by Australian or New Zealand citizens, permanent residents and permanent humanitarian visa holders who are not enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place.  
Domestic student A student who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a New Zealand citizen or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa. 
Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) Also known as a Request for Commonwealth Assistance.
The eCAF is used to confirm enrolment in a Commonwealth supported place or to apply for HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, SA-HELP or OS-HELP.
Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) Your electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) contains information about your enrolment and use of Commonwealth assistance. Higher education providers must issue a CAN to each of their Commonwealth assisted students after the census date. 
Equivalent full-time study load (EFTSL) An EFTSL is a representation of the amount of load a student would have when studying full time for one year. For further information, refer to the EFTSL page
ESOS Education Services for Overseas Students
FEE-HELP Refer to FEE-HELP page 
Fee Paying student A domestic student, who is not Commonwealth supported for a unit of study. Fee-paying students are also known as non-Commonwealth supported students. 
HECS-HELP Refer to HECS-HELP page 
Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) A Government assistance page program which consists of four loan schemes to assist students with the cost of their fees. 
HESA Higher Education Support Act 2003
International student In the Australian higher education sector, an international student is a person who is or will be enrolled in a course of study with a higher education provider and is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, a Permanent Resident Visa holder or a Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder. 
Minimum threshold This is the limit above which compulsory repayments are to be paid in your tax returns. Your compulsory repayment amount depends on your HELP repayment income of each income year. 
Not-For-Degree Not-For-Degree study allows students to study units without leading to a formal award. It may comprise of a unit or units of study from an award course and may be counted as credit towards an award course in some cases. 
Open Universities Australia (OUA) Open Universities Australia provides online study options and may also be referred to as OpenUnis. 
Refund A refund involves the return of money to a student that made an up-front payment.
Refer to the refund and remission page for further information. 
Remission Where your HELP debt is removed by your provider because you meet the special circumstances criteria. 
Refer to the refund and remission page for further information. 
Sanction A warning put on a student's record, to alert them of outstanding requirements. It may withhold certain privileges until the requirements are met. 
Sponsorship If your tuition fees are being paid by an organisation who has signed a sponsorship agreement with the University, you are classified as a sponsored student. 
Further information is provided on the sponsorship page
Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF) The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) supports the provision of non-academic services and facilities (such as sporting and recreational activities, student wellbeing and health services, child care, food services, etc).  
Student contributions Contributions that Commonwealth supported students make towards the cost of their education. 
Tax File Number (TFN) Your unique identification number from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). Further information about what tax file numbers are needed for and how to get one is available on the tax file number page.  
UnitA unit of study, or subject, that you undertake with a provider that could form part of a course of study.
Up-front paymentPartial or full payment made direct to the provider on or before the census date.