Centrally scheduling your assessments and exams

Many assessments and exams will be centrally scheduled during the formal examination period.

  • Six weeks prior to the examination period a draft timetable will be published
  • You will have one week to provide feedback to your schools or faculty about the timetable
  • Four weeks prior to the examination period a final timetable (date and time only) will be published
  • Two weeks prior to the examination period your examination venue will be published (if you have a face to face exam)

Your personalised draft and final timetables will be made available in OASIS.

The assessments and exams may be scheduled on any day or evening during the centrally scheduled period, with the exception of Sundays.


Exceptions may apply where alternative arrangements have been made under the following processes:

Assessment extension and deferred exam application

To apply for an assessment extension or deferred exam you will need to complete the online Assessment Extension form located on the Student administration forms page.  By submitting an assessment extension application, you are formally requesting to delay the submission or completion of an assessment task to a date beyond the original deadline.

Once you have clicked the link to the form, it is important that you read the assessment extension information presented to you.

More information on assessment extension policy and procedures can be found in the Assessment and student progression - policy and procedures manual [.pdf 730KB].


Examination arrangements for external students

If you are enrolled partially or fully online you are considered an external student.

If you are required to sit a face to face examination you will be sent an official communication via your official communication channel in OASIS approximately 8 weeks into each semester. If you have not received your official communication by April 30 for Semester 1 or September 30 for Semester 2, contact Examinations and Progress Management

Depending on your residential address you may need to make arrangements for your examinations venue.

You will then receive confirmation of your examination arrangements at least one month prior to the commencement of the examination period.


Reside within 100km of Bentley Campus

If you reside within 100 kilometres of the Bentley Campus you must sit your examinations at the Bentley Campus. There is no further action you need to take to arrange your examinations.


Reside within 100km of a recognised examination centre (REC)

If you reside within 100 kilometres of an REC you will be advised to sit your examinations at that centre.

You will need to contact Examinations and Progression Management if you:

  • prefer to sit your examinations at Bentley Campus.
  • the allocated REC is no longer convenient because you have changed your residential address.
Reside more than 100km from an REC – use of a nominated invigilator

If you reside more than 100 kilometres from Bentley Campus or an REC you can nominate your own invigilator. The invigilator cannot be a partner, relative, close friend or another student.

You will need to contact Examinations and Progression Management if you:

  • are unable to nominate an individual invigilator and venue that fits within the criteria below
  • prefer to sit your examinations at Bentley Campus or a REC.

In most circumstances, Curtin University will pay the full cost of examination supervision.

Venue and invigilator category Notes, restrictions, requirements
Tertiary or TAFE institution Any tertiary or TAFE institution. The invigilator may be either an administrative or academic staff member. The venue must be located at the institution.
Telecentre Any official Telecentre, where the invigilator is the administrative officer of the Telecentre. The venue must be located at the Telecentre.
Primary or secondary school Any Primary or Secondary School. The invigilator may be either an Administrative Officer or Teacher at the school. The venue must be located at the School.
Hospitals The invigilator must be an Administrative Officer, Registered Nurse or Doctor. The venue must be located at the Hospital.
Education centre in prison or detention centre For students studying in a Prison/Detention Centre facility. The invigilator must be employed by the Prison/Detention Centre. The venue must be located at the Prison/Detention Centre.
Library Any Library recognised by the relevant State Library Board. The invigilator should be an employed staff member of the Library. The venue must be located at the Library.
Mine sites For students employed on mine sites. The request to be accompanied by a letter from the employer confirming the student's employment. The venue must be suitable for examinations. The invigilator must be an employee of the mining company.
International embassies The invigilator must be an employee of the embassy. The venue must be located at the embassy.

Further assessments

Further assessment is also known as a supplementary assessment.

There is no application process to apply for a further assessment. Further assessment may only be approved by the Board of Examiners if you:

  • Are enrolled in a unit within your first 200 credit point of study in your course or it is the final study period of your course
  • Have attempted all required assessment tasks for the unit and have marginally failed the unit
  • Have not been found guilty of Academic Misconduct in that unit.

If you are eligible for a further assessment you may only be offered two opportunities for a bachelor level course or one for all other courses.

If you are granted a further assessment you will be notified of the date, time and venue in writing via either

  • your Official Communication Channel in OASIS
  • a hard copy letter
  • an email to your student provided account.

If you pass the further assessment, you will be awarded a pass in the unit. The mark of the initial examination or assessment will be retained.

It is your responsibility to be available to attend or complete the further assessment based on the instructions provided by the organising area.

International onshore students must attend their further assessment at the Curtin campus in which they are enrolled.

Alternative examination arrangements

Some students may require alternative exam arrangements through reasons of disability, medical, religious, social inclusion or commitment as an elite athletes.

Arrangements should be made at least four weeks prior to the examination period.

Disability or medical reasons

If you need alternative exam arrangements due to a medical condition or disability you should seek approval from AccessAbility Services. You are also eligible if you are a primary carer of a person with a disability.

You will need to provide documentation from your treating health professional to support your request at the initial appointment. AccessAbility Services will then assess your situation and assist you to make arrangements for in-class and end of semester exams if required.

For more information, contact AccessAbility Services. Curtin OUA students can refer to Disability Support on the OUA website.

Religious reasons

If you have obligatory religious requirements that prevent you from sitting an examination at the scheduled time you should seek approval for alternative arrangements to sit your examinations.

You will need to provide appropriate supporting documentation from your church or religious group.

For more information go to faith and religion.

Family, care and social inclusion

If you are experiencing issues related to social inclusion, such as pregnancy or extenuating commitments as a primary carer, that prohibit you from sitting your exams at the scheduled time, you should contact a Student Wellbeing Advisor. They will be able to determine what alternative arrangement is required or assist to you apply for an Assessment Extension.

For more information, contact Student Wellbeing Advisory Service.

Elite athletes

Recognised elite athletes who need alternative exam arrangements need to seek approval from Curtin’s Elite Athlete Coordinator.

For more information, contact Curtin’s Elite Athlete Coordinator.

Curtin OUA Exam Services

Examinations for Curtin OUA units are held at an OUA Exam Services venue and arranged by OUA Exam Services. If you are required to travel over 100km to attend your exams, you may be eligible for a travel subsidy

As a Curtin OUA student, if required, you may apply for alternative examination arrangements or an assessment extension by following the Curtin processes.