Services & advice for off-campus accommodation

Housing advisory service

As well as our database of off-campus accommodation, we provide students with assistance with finding accommodation and advice with rental issues and disputes.

Our services can range from driving you to view potential accommodation to helping you set up rental contracts and utilities. We are trained in tenancy legislation, and can help out if you have a problem with your landlord or other tenants. In the rare event that you have a legal issue with accommodation, we will assist you, and even go to court with you if necessary.

Contact us at to find out more, and check out the advice below to ensure you’re prepared to find, organise and live in off-campus accommodation.

Online resources and advice

Before signing a lease agreement, make sure you have read the information about living off campus. We also advise you not to sign contracts from overseas or without viewing the property.

See more tips and advice:

How to apply for off-campus accommodation

There are no application forms to fill out for off-campus housing prior to arriving. Because all off-campus accommodation is privately owned and not controlled by the university, we advise that you see a place before signing a lease.

Do not ask your friends to find accommodation before you arrive. Every year some students get into trouble with this. Often students arrive and find the place is not what they thought, or that they could have got cheaper or better easily. There are also internet accommodation scams that you need to be aware of.

We are dedicated to finding off-campus accommodation for students very quickly, especially for those new to Perth, so it is not worth the risk to take a place unseen from overseas. You can email us at with your requirements beforehand, or you can come and see us at Curtin Connect on the Perth Campus. Most new students find accommodation the day they come to see us, as we will even drive new to Perth students to view accommodation options, but we say two or three days is usual, once all the paperwork is done. It is rare for accommodation to take longer than a week.

When you decide to take accommodation, there will most often be contracts to sign. Rental contracts are usually standard. Room only contracts may be more informal. Some people renting rooms do not ask for a contract, but it’s always advisable to have the terms in writing. We can provide a simple room contract you can use if your landlord does not have one.

There are laws governing renting accommodation. We can advise you if there is a dispute.

Hiring and buying goods

Most accommodation offered near the Perth Campus will be furnished, especially room rental situations. However sometimes whole rentals may be unfurnished, particularly if they are a little further from the campus. There are companies that rent out furniture, and many that will rent out electrical equipment. If you’re living in Perth for longer than a year you may find it cheaper to buy furniture and sell it when you leave.

Security and safety

Perth is a very safe city, but you should take precautions whether you live on- or off-campus. Generally security will be more dependent on the property itself than the area. Close to the university there is a big range of accommodation. Newer houses will be more expensive, but are more likely to have better security. Older houses will be cheaper, but will not be as secure. As with all things, with home security, you get what you pay for. For personal security you should take the sort of precautions you would anywhere. Don’t walk by yourself late at night. Don’t carry large amounts of cash. You should also insure your belongings. Landlord’s insurance will not cover your belongings.

Living in Perth

See our guide to living in Perth for information about internet services, public transport, finding health services and more.

App to help with renting accommodation

Moving out of home to Perth can be a daunting process, especially if you have no experience in lease (contract) agreements.

The Department of Commerce has an app (through iTunes) to help you with renting accommodation. Usually the landlord will provide contracts or lease agreements, but you may want to see what they involve, and what you may be signing. For standard rentals, the use of some forms is compulsory.