You can access our counselling services for a safe professional environment to deal with any issues affecting your life or study. We provide a free and confidential service that focuses on short-term therapy.
Why see a counsellor?
Sometimes there are difficulties that are hard to discuss with family, friends or work colleagues, and you may desire an independent party to confide in. A professional counsellor can help you resolve problems and prevent future ones from developing.
The Counselling Service provides:
- Academic support
- Personal counselling
- Assistance with policies and procedures
- Crisis services.
Issues people often raise with us are:
- Feelings of academic inadequacy
- Relationships with others
- Social anxieties
- Cultural concerns
- Balancing the demands of family and study
- Traumatic events (recent or older)
- Settling into life in Perth
Counsellors are familiar with Curtin’s policies and procedures, and can advise you on appropriate courses of action in the varied situations.
If you’re an international student, be assured that we are a multi-cultural service with staff who are sensitive to cross-cultural issues. You’re welcome to visit us – you don’t need a major crisis to justify a visit!
Make an appointment
We have services for Bentley, Kalgoorlie, online and regional students and staff.
You can book an appointment by calling (08) 9266 7850 or by visiting our reception on level 2 of Building 109. Our reception hours are:
Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5.00pm
Friday: 8.00am to 4.30pm
There may be a waiting period of up to four weeks during our busy times of the year.
Monday to Thursday: 8.00am to 6.00pm
Friday: 8.00am to 4.30pm
Your initial appointment
If you’re a student who’s new to the service or you haven’t had an appointment in the last six months, you must first have a 20-minute session with our triage counsellor. They will conduct a brief assessment of your needs, and if required schedule a follow up appointment based on the urgency and complexity of your situation. It’s important that you tell the triage counsellor as much information as possible about your situation and what you are seeking. If you need a support letter from Counselling Services, see the requirements.
Session times work on a first come, first served basis, and booking commences from 8:30am. Once triage is full for the day, you will be asked to phone or return the next day. Triage sessions are held between 9.00am and 1.00pm, Monday to Friday.
You can book an appointment with the triage counsellor via phone on (08) 9266 7850. Your actual session will be face-to-face. Let us know if you cannot attend face-to-face because you are living outside of Perth, are on placement, have work commitments, you’re unwell, or you have travel restrictions. We may be able to provide you with a phone triage appointment if you fall into one of these categories.
Once you have an appointment booked you will be asked to complete a registration form, to read and agree with the our confidentiality statement.
There are different counselling services available in Kalgoorlie. We encourage you to contact one of the below health services or local mental health practitioners.
You’re also welcome to contact the Student Wellbeing Advisory Service or the Counselling Service at the Bentley Campus (see details above) for assistance in arranging a referral or, in the case of the Counselling Service, to make an appointment to receive phone or Skype counselling.
- Centrecare: 168 Egan St, (08) 9080 0333 or 1300 66 77 00
- Michelle Capsanis, Registered Psychologist (telecounselling only – no face to face): 0435 060 126
- Kalgoorlie Student Wellbeing Advisor: Building 701, Room 113 or phone on (08) 9088 6029
- Counselling Service, Bentley Campus: (08) 9266 7850
- OPTUM (for staff members only): 1300 361 008.
We offer a free, confidential counselling service to all enrolled regional students. The service can be provided face-to-face, online via Skype or over the phone – depending what is possible for you as the student. To arrange an appointment please call our reception on +61 8 9266 7850 or email email@example.com.
Free face-to-face counselling services are available at the following locations:
- Margaret River
- Port Hedland.
Contact the Bentley Campus reception on (08) 9266 7850 to make an appointment.
We offer a free, confidential counselling service to all students who study exclusively online. The service is provided online via Skype or over telephone – depending on what is easier and more convenient. To arrange an appointment please call our reception on +61 8 9266 7850 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re an OUA student, you also have access to counselling through OUA.
Our counsellors are highly qualified and have a range of expertise to provide quality professional service to students and staff.
- Sean Murray, PhD (Pretoria) – Head of Service
- Regina Gerlach, MPsych (Berlin) – Deputy Head of Service
- Janelle Booker, MPsych (Curtin)
- Ariane Cummins, MPsych (Curtin)
- Dr Hertha Collin, MPsych/PhD (Braunschweig)
- Penny Fox, MAPsych (Natal)
- Leeanne Purdom, MPsych (Curtin)
- Paul Przytula, MPsych (Curtin)
- Dr Emily Musgrove, PhD (ACU)
- Lousie Tay, BSW (UWA) – Social Worker
- Chin Ngee Annells, MPsych (Murdoch)
- Joyleen Koolmatrie, MPsych (Curtin)
- Alison Marland, MPsych (UoW)
- Graham Semple, MPsych (Curtin)
- Catherine Elliot, MPsych (Curtin)
- Karen Robson, MPsych (Curtin)