Skip to content
Curtin University
Current Students

Visa and health cover information for onshore international students on student visas

Do you know when your student visa will expire?

You can check when your student visa will expire on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) website.

Student visa renewals (for Australia)

When you first accept an offer for a course at Curtin as an international student you will be issued with an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) from Curtin International to apply for your student visa.

If your student visa expires before you complete your course you will need to request a new CoE. This is so that you can apply for a new student visa with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) in order to continue your current course of study.

There are certain requirements that must be met before your CoE can be produced. Please refer to the Online Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) application guidelines and ensure you have met all the requirements before requesting your new CoE.

To request a new CoE online:

  1. Log into OASIS
  2. Click on the My Studies tab
  3. In the quick forms Channel, click on Request for Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) [International Students Only].

Please note that the following students are not able to request their CoE online and should contact the Student Advisor – International Student Visas at to seek advice on how to obtain a CoE:

Once you have your eCoE you must apply for your new student visa with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). To apply for your student visa you will also have to:

Students in Perth are encouraged to apply for their new visa online at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection contact details:

Students applying from outside Australia must contact their nearest Australian High Commission/Embassy to determine what documentation is required and how to submit their student visa application. For further information, please visit the DIBP website.

Fees and charges associated with student visa applications are available from the DIBP website.

Back to top

Work visas (for Australia)

If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you will already have Permission to Work automatically included with your visa.

Should your visa not have work rights, you can apply for a Permission to Work visa with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

Once you have work rights, there are restrictions on the number of hours you can work. From 26 March 2012, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight after you start your course and while your study is in session. During recognised vacation periods you are allowed to work unlimited hours.

For Higher Degree by Research students (subclass 574 student visa holders), you have unlimited work rights after you start your Masters by Research or Doctorate course. However, while you are undertaking any preliminary courses, such as an English language course, you can only work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.

For more information on working while studying, please visit the DIBP website.

Back to top

OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) renewals

If you wish to renew your OSHC you will have to do so with your chosen health provider. You can do that via their website, at their local retail branches, or by contacting them directly via phone.

If you are with Allianz Global Assistance (formerly OSHC Worldcare) you can renew your cover on campus. An Allianz Global Assistance Client Services Representative is available to students in the Student Service Centre (Building 101, level 1).

The representative can assist you with:

The Client Representative is available at the times shown below. Please ensure you arrive 15 minutes before the indicated finish time to be able to see the Client Representative.

Day Time
Monday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Tuesday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Wednesday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Thursday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Friday 10.00pm - 4.00pm

These times are subject to change at short notice depending on the availability of the Client Representative.  If the time changes suddenly there will be notices in the Student Service Centre.

The fees and charges associated with Allianz Global Assistance are available on Curtin's International Students website or on the Allianz Global Assistance website.

Back to top

Students under 18 years of age

If you are under 18 years of age you will already have nominated a guardian who has legal responsibility for your welfare in Australia until you turn 18. You are required to submit a form to the International Office nominating your guardian prior to accepting your offer.

Whilst you are under the age of 18 you and your guardian are required to meet with a Student Advisor from Student Wellbeing as least once every semester. The Advisor will contact you both and arrange the meeting at a time that is convenient.

The meetings are completely confidential and are conducted to ensure your social and emotional well being. It is a condition of guardianship that your guardian accompanies you to the meeting.

If you have any questions about your meeting please contact a Student Advisor:

START - Student Wellbeing advisory service
Building 103
: 1800 244 043
Web: Student Wellbeing Advisory Service

Back to top