Skip to content
Curtin University
Current Students

Academic Status

An academic status is an academic standing that is determined by a Board of Examiners. It is assigned to you based on your Semester Weighted Average in the course. 

At the end of each study period your academic status will be determined as either Good Standing, Conditional or Terminated.

This page contains information on:

How your status affects your enrolment

Good Standing - an academic status which indicates you can re-enrol into your course.

Conditional – an academic status in which you are permitted to re-enrol but may be subject to conditions which are determined by the Head of School.

Terminated – an academic status in which you are not permitted to re-enrol into the course. You can however seek admission into another course.

If you receive a Conditional or Terminated status you may appeal your Academic Status.  To learn more about the way in which your academic status is assigned and the method for appeal refer to the Examinations website.

What to do if you're on Conditional status

If you are placed on Conditional status you are expected to improve your academic results by the end of the next study period. Students placed on Conditional Status are risking Termination from their course if their academic status does not improve.

If you have been placed on Conditional Status you are advised to make use of the support services available. Visit the On Conditional Status? webpage for information on what to do next.

How a Terminated status affects your student visa

If you are an international onshore student on a student visa and you are assigned a Terminated status you will be reported to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), in accordance with the ESOS Act 2000. The Termination is deemed as a breach of Student Visa Condition 8202 "Must satisfy course requirements".  That is that 'Student must have a satisfactory academic result for each term or semester'. If you breach your Student Visa conditions it may lead to cancellation of your visa.

Notification of your Terminated status will be sent to you via your Official Communication Channel in OASIS. This communication will provide instructions about the Academic Status appeal process.

If factors outside of your control affected your performance during the last study period, please seek support from a Student Wellbeing Advisor or your Student Services Officers/Course Coordinators who may be able to assist your appeal preparation.

Should you remain on a Terminated status after the appeal time-frame, you will be reported to DIBP and may risk Visa cancellation. For information or assistance with your Academic Status appeal please contact the Student Wellbeing Advisory Service.

Back to top