Skip to content
Curtin University
Current Students

Leave of absence

Following enrolment you are expected to study continuously, however we understand that because of unforeseen circumstances you may wish to take a break from study.  As such, unless you are an international student on a student visa, you may be entitled to take Leave of Absence from your course.

To be eligible to apply for Leave of Absence within an undergraduate course (i.e. Bachelor) you must have completed at least one unit of study at Curtin University in this or an equivalent course (or been enrolled after the census date). Students who have not completed at least one unit of study will be required to re-apply for entry into the course (via TISC for Semester One OR as a direct entry applicant for Semester Two if there are places available).

To apply for a Leave of Absence complete an Application for Leave of Absence Form [.pdf]You will need to submit the form to your Student Services Office prior to the withdrawal deadline. You will receive an Official Communication advising you of your LOA status.

If you withdraw from all units in a study period and you do not have an approved Leave of Absence your course status may be changed to Absent Without Leave (AWOL) after the census date for that particular study period and you may lose your place in the course.  You may then be required to re-apply to the course when you wish to return.

If you are enrolled in a Higher Degree (by Research) you must obtain a separate Application for Leave of Absence Form from the Office of Graduate Studies. The completed application form must be lodged for transmission to the Faculty Graduate Studies Committee.

As an International Student you may be permitted to take a Leave of Absence in exceptional circumstances. You must contact the Student Advisor – International Student Visas for advice regarding your circumstances and how this will affect your student visa. We recommend that you contact your Student Services Office to confirm you are able to continue studies in the following study period. If you do not meet the grounds for Leave of Absence you will need to withdraw and apply for re-admission through the International Office.